A View from Sierra County

Small town life and politics, lots of knitting, and travels with and without my five burros

My Photo
Name:
Location: In the Sierra Nevadas, United States

I blog about rural living and social issues, and the creativity that comes from knitting, as well as post random pictures of the Sierras and my burros. "In order to be an artist, one must be deeply rooted in the society" - Simone de Beauvoir


Knittingstephaniesfriendbanner



Monday, December 05, 2005

Product Review: Knitscene

Stats:

Yarn name: Knitscene, a special issue
Manufacture:Interweave Press
MSRP: $7.99

I was kind of excited when I stumbled upon this issue last week over at Jimmy Beans Wool in Truckee. I thought it was special that Interweave loved us knitters so much, they put out an "extra" edition. Well, it looks more like they are trying to re-invent a part of themselves in hopes of capturing as much attention as Knitty has been getting. This is the first pattern magazine I have EVER purchased where I had to go online to get some of the patterns!

What gives here? I just bought the 'zine thinking I had within my hands the needed information to make any of the fashionista designs within (they are a lot more on the high-fashion side than Interweave Knits items and in the intermediate skill range mainly, but not as dorky as Vogue Knitting's spin-off last year, Knit One), only to be thumbing through a design trying to figure out if I wanted to make it, and came upon the directions to go to their website and download the rest! I sure hope this isn't a concept that catches on! What happens when the company gets bored with tying up their webspace with dated patterns? Will they just vanish into cyberspace?

That said, I like the smaller size better than a full-size 'zine for fitting into your knitting bag, and I did find a few designs that I want to make.. but I don't think I'll bother to buy it if they do this again. It was just to tide me over till the winter issue of Interweave Knits was out on December 13th anyway!

1 Comments:

Blogger handknit168 said...

The Knitscene is beautiful. I like it.

My Blog
My on-line shop

10:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home