A View from Sierra County

Small town life and politics, lots of knitting, and travels with and without my five burros

My Photo
Name:
Location: In the Sierra Nevadas, United States

I blog about rural living and social issues, and the creativity that comes from knitting, as well as post random pictures of the Sierras and my burros. "In order to be an artist, one must be deeply rooted in the society" - Simone de Beauvoir


Knittingstephaniesfriendbanner



Friday, March 31, 2006

G is for Green

Green is my absolute most favorite color! I get the most compliments wearing turquoise, and certain shades of pink (which I do wear a lot, as well as browns and blues), love red, especially to knit with, and used to wear way too much black, but green is still my most favorite. Maybe this comes from living in the mountains, surrounded by conifer forests, for so long now, but as I wandered around my house taking photos for this post, I realized there really is a lot of green in my life.


One of the kitchen doors featuring our country kitchen color scheme

I eat a lot of green veggies (broccoli and red peppers are probably my top two veggies, but I adore artichokes and asparagus, and gobble them up when in season). I collect items in green. I love gardening and being surrounded by green plants:


Our hanging fuchsia, which spends winters indoors guarded by this gnome (he has a really cool water reservoir tucked inside to help him tend the plant; symbiosis right here at Slate Range Camp)

I accumulate green yarn:


For those who always want to know about THE YARN, clockwise from the top left corner, we have lime green Fun Fur (used for a pair of fur-trimmed flip flops I made for my dearest student last year, who also loves green) which is obscuring a medium-green Elann Highland Peruvian wool, forest green Garnstudio Silke-Woole (a gift from Beth), sitting on top of and partially concealing forest green Cascade 220, apple green Elsebeth Lavold Angora, Big Geek Yarn Co., specially hand-dyed for me wool, and olive green Knitpicks Wool of the Andes.


This green's for me! This box is the collection of yarns that Kimmet Croft fibers has kitted up for the Wild Apple Bohus sweater/cardi kit. Some of you will remember that my DH had tried to order this for my Christmas gift back in early December, than gave up in despair (and maybe a trifle guilt) in late February and bought me a wonderful knitting chair when the backorder never, ever arrived... except that it did last week. I will be swatching both patterned and unpatterned portions of the sweater this weekend to determine which needles sizes "get gauge". This lovely Fairy Hare yarn, from their own 60% angora and 40% merino wool blending, is much softer than the Elsebeth Lavold angora blend, and melts at the touch. It will be a joy to work with!

4 Comments:

Blogger Nana Sadie said...

I love that kitchen door! I, too, have green in my kitchen - the 1940-50's jadite green and pink roses...
Love your green yarns...and Bohus looks scrumtious!
(((hugs)))

5:53 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Green is a lovely color. It's my son's favorite color, and the color of both my kids' birthstones. You have such lovely green yarns!

10:36 AM  
Blogger Stacie said...

I tought about doing green too, but I may do garden. My garden is a patch of thawing mud right now, so who knows! One of my all time fave songs, Kermit the Frog, It Isn't Easy Being Green... "and green can be cool, and friendly-like" I love that guy!

7:56 PM  
Blogger kathy b said...

Birdsong,

I look forward to seeing you knit up the DH yarn. I took a look at their site. Lovely. Just lovely. (you don't have to reply Birdsong, just want you to know Im reading!)

3:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home