A View from Sierra County

Small town life and politics, lots of knitting, and travels with and without my five burros

My Photo
Name:
Location: In the Sierra Nevadas, United States

I blog about rural living and social issues, and the creativity that comes from knitting, as well as post random pictures of the Sierras and my burros. "In order to be an artist, one must be deeply rooted in the society" - Simone de Beauvoir


Knittingstephaniesfriendbanner



Saturday, February 25, 2006

And My Better Pal Is....

Beth!


What a great haul! This is an overview of the contents of my last package from my Better Pal, who turned out to be Beth (and no, I hadn't figured it out - maybe I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, or maybe just not detective-minded!)


I want a whole box of these... notecards with pattern attached!


I totally love this very cute flower petal face cloth that Beth made for me, in true spring colors. The soap is a hand-made Cucumber/Green Tea blend that had the entire package smelling like heaven, and probably provided some aromatherapeutic effects on postal workers as the package made its way from New York to California... poor Beth used Priority Mail, but it still took a week to get to me - we might have been the pair the furthest apart.

Of course, you are all dying to hear the gory details about THE YARN. I feel truly spoiled with all this lovely stuff. She selected Berroco Ultra Alpaca in one of my favorite colors, a heathered lavender - it actually looks a lot like a field of the plants in bloom, a harbinger of spring. This is worsted weight and enough to make up a quick spring wrap or shrug; it feels so soft and I am sure you can expect a glowing Product Review in its future.

The forest green is from Garnstudio of Norway, and is called Silke-Tweed ... a lovely blend that is similar to the Elsebeth Lavold blend, but feels less inclined to split while knitting it... I first thought of fingerless mitts, as I am in the middle of a love affair with them, but actually, this lightweight yarn is well suited to something in lace, so I will have to give it more thought and planning.

The scrumptious spring green and turquoise blend, which carefully matches the facecloth, is a fabulous handpainted wool that feels so soft. It may have to just sit around looking beautiful, as that could be its best use for now.




Dear Beth also sent these cute notepads... you can't read it from here but one says: "What if the Hokey-Pokey is really what it's all about"... I think she got to know me pretty well over the past three months of blog-reading! I can't say how special this package made me feel... this has been a chaotic day in which I caffienated out of control through the morning pulling exhibits together, which I drove an hour and a half to deliver to our grantwriter for a grant that has to be mailed out tomorrow, and then managed to take the "long way" back to work... I really do know my way around, but the roads I would have normally taken in summer are closed during the winter and not plowed (remember, this really is the Sierras), and I always mess up my alternate route... now I am supposed to head off to our annual quilt retreat (luckily within walking distance from work, since it is almost dinner time and I am still not there), but I wanted to do Beth justice but putting up a grateful and gleeful post. It couldn't have arrived at a better time. New yarn is every bit as good at cheering one up as chocolate! I did stop to take a few nice mountain photos, which will be up later this weekend, as well as some girl-stuff from our retreat.

Happy weekend!

2 Comments:

Blogger Birdsong said...

To anyone who checked earlier this weekend (incl. Fri. night), I apologize. Blogger and Hello made a mess and I came in and made repairs... doesn't happen often, but enough to make me consider Typepad.

6:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YAY! It got there on time! I am glad you enjoyed it. I enjoyed getting to know you and spoiling you.

Beth (big geek)

9:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home