A View from Sierra County

Small town life and politics, lots of knitting, and travels with and without my five burros

My Photo
Name:
Location: In the Sierra Nevadas, United States

I blog about rural living and social issues, and the creativity that comes from knitting, as well as post random pictures of the Sierras and my burros. "In order to be an artist, one must be deeply rooted in the society" - Simone de Beauvoir


Knittingstephaniesfriendbanner



Thursday, February 09, 2006

A Wee Babe

As some of you know, I am taking a writing class as part of my post-grad program I started this semester, so you can expect occasional random posts like the following story about the birth of our conceived-in-the-wild, but homegrown burro boy, born May 18, 2004:

I remember when Assteroid was born... each morning I would be the one to get up early and go out and feed. We had only had April a few weeks, and even though we knew she was pregnant, we didn’t expect her baby for at least another month maybe six weeks. She wasn’t really tame yet, and although she would come up to us for treats, she was very timid. I always wanted to go to her first, to reinforce that contact with us, and because she had such a quiet, timid nature. I think she was already my favorite.

We had partitioned off our upper pasture for her, the one with the shed Glenn had build before we got our first donkey, Rose. That was to give her a private space while still in sight of the others. To get there, you walk out through a narrow, green alley of overhanging branches, then you are directly in front of the gate to the pen.

Suddenly, I noticed something was odd - April is a dark brown-black color, and there by her side was a pale grey miniature donkey, with still-wet curls of fluffy, downey hair! I shouted for Glenn.

He (we didn’t know it was a boy yet) had spindly little legs but was standing stoutly by his mother’s side, so pale and shiny next to her darkness. It was so unexpected, it was as if he fell from the sky (hence his name).

We wanted to check to see if girl or boy, so Glenn and I went into the pen. Mama was pretty defensive and almost nailed him with a kick because he got into a corner accidentally to close for her liking. Later, our friends came to help us clean his cord and just to sit around in lawn chairs and admire the wonder of birth in spring together.

First morning nap.


7 Comments:

Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

The picture you posted is a weee bit tiny. Any chance you have a larger version for us visually impared?

10:08 PM  
Blogger Birdsong said...

I'll work on it... my computer skills are slightly impaired tonight, sigh.

11:16 PM  
Blogger Lynette said...

I wish I had stories like that to tell...so interesting and different!

4:37 PM  
Blogger FaeryCrafty said...

Wonderful story! Can't wait to see the picture :)

7:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Assteroid was a beautiful baby! I too love your stories, thank you for sharing. We are awaiting our first lamb. Smushie, the ewe is pregnant and due within two weeks. We don't have an exact date because the ram she was bred to wasn't wearing a breeding harness to mark her when the deed had been done.
She is definitely pregnant and her udder is developing so the time is coming.
I hope for the same wonderful results that you had.

8:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

your so ugly why did you even make a blogger anways i can get mixed up with you and a man

5:59 PM  
Blogger kajan burger said...

that jocylen girl is so mean i dont think your ugly your so pretty when i saw your pic

6:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home