A View from Sierra County

Small town life and politics, lots of knitting, and travels with and without my five burros

My Photo
Name:
Location: In the Sierra Nevadas, United States

I blog about rural living and social issues, and the creativity that comes from knitting, as well as post random pictures of the Sierras and my burros. "In order to be an artist, one must be deeply rooted in the society" - Simone de Beauvoir


Knittingstephaniesfriendbanner



Thursday, April 13, 2006

H is for Hearts

OK, corny as it sounds, I have collected heart-shaped things for many years, so I decided to share photos of some of them for this letter of the alphabet.


I am wearing this large silver heart, found at a feed store without the chain, today, and the earrings were a second-hand treasure I picked up last summer. Me? A cowgirl? Naah, not really.... I just really appreciate beautiful tooled silver.


This heart buckle was an engagement present from my DH back in 1993; from Montana Silversmiths, one of my favorite silver design companies.


These two heart buckles, both from Crumrine, another venerable western silversmith company, are waiting for belts to be woven for them, then will be up for sale.

I almost always have one of the dozen or so heart necklaces I own on...


The necklace in the center was made by my beading whiz friend Leslie, it's kind of hard to tell with the reflection from the flash, but there is a bird in the center. The one to the right features gold nuggets from the Yuba River, and the one to the left is a tiny heart my DD passed along to me.


More heart jewels, including in my favorite color, green.

Looking around the house will turn up various hearts as well...


This is a quilted wall hanging made by a guild secret pal, Peggy, a few years back, in 1850s reproduction fabrics to go with my 1852 house.


A few more hearts from my daily life - the tiny pin was a gift from a quilting friend, and there are more heart boxes floating around here.

There is even a collection of heart-shaped rocks, but they are up at the high country house, where that collection got started with a rock my DH found while out on a hike, stained by iron oxide in the middle in something approximating a heart shape... of course a treasured paperweight now.

Lastly, there's heart knitting....


One of two squares for the Warming Grace blankets... in Peace Fleece and almost ready to be mailed off tomorrow, just before the end of 40 Days for Others.

7 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

What a lovely collection of hearts!

7:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also made a heart for Grace. Your heart collection is wonderful. Silver jewelry is my preference and at one time I had a few heart pieces and thought about collecting them.

5:16 AM  
Blogger Vicki Knitorious said...

I think the Warming Grace project is getting SEVERAL pink hearts -- makes my heart feel all warm and fuzzy.

I love your collection!

5:31 AM  
Blogger Stacie said...

Yay for Hearts! Love your collection! The silver stuff is beautiful, and is that green heart jade? It's really pretty!

7:44 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I love green too and hearts, what is not to love???

8:10 AM  
Blogger Terri said...

I collect heart-shaped things too, and you have got some great pieces in your collection. This is my first visit to your site, nice pink "heart" square too. Happy knitting.

11:31 AM  
Blogger Nana Sadie said...

let me know when that pink heart belt buckle is ready for sale? Wow...just another thing we have in common "sis" - collecting hearts. hmmm...gotta have that one!
(((hugs)))

8:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home