A View from Sierra County

Small town life and politics, lots of knitting, and travels with and without my five burros

My Photo
Name:
Location: In the Sierra Nevadas, United States

I blog about rural living and social issues, and the creativity that comes from knitting, as well as post random pictures of the Sierras and my burros. "In order to be an artist, one must be deeply rooted in the society" - Simone de Beauvoir


Knittingstephaniesfriendbanner



Friday, May 26, 2006

Out, Out, Damn Funk!

Yahoo! My replacement yarn for CeCe arrived in the mail today!




I was so delighted that I had to snap a picture right away! It is the same Sour colorway as the Rowan Cork sent by mistake, but the Cork seems a little brighter.... thanks to Spiderwoman for comforting me with a suggested use for Cork. And thanks from the bottom of my heart to all who tried to console and cajole me out of my funk. I have not gotten much done, period, around here of late. For the past week, we have been swamped with visitors (one did leave with a handknitted washcloth :) I am not complaining, as I dearly love the people in my life, and treasure the times spent with those that live too far to see regularly, but I haven't been able to be a good hostess and knit a complicated lace pattern at the same time (Susan, does that come with time?). We have feasted on strawberries, which are coming ripe in the lower elevations near here, as well as other treats. Roast leg of lamb and BBQ shrimp are on the menu for the weekend, as well as entertaining little nieces with craft projects and burro hikes (pictures, I promise!).

However, this trying week is finally over, and I realized yesterday that the funk wasn't really with the knitting, it was with the looming prospect of attending a major state committee meeting yesterday, where we would attempt to appeal being displaced in our scoring, and losing a $250,000 capital improvement grant for our clinic. Sitting in the power capital of Sacramento, where two State Senators were also pleading the cases of health centers in their districts (and the media was on the prowl hoping to see Mexican President Vincente Fox meet with Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger), I realized that it was really as hopeless as I thought when I reviewed the letter stating that evaluation of other agencies' appeals had led to our defunding... there were so many meritorious centers, and any gain would be someone elses' loss. That is the quick and dirty summary of the terrible state of health care in our country.

There have been other trials and disappointments this week, and I am very thankful that CeCe can get started this weekend, as I do believe getting my knitting mojo back will help my outlook. That, and gardening.

Have a fun and restful holiday.

4 Comments:

Blogger Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

Sorry for your funk :)

Glad you got some yarn for CeCe! Hope your knitting, burros and garden can bring you back to your center and help you find peace again in your soul.

Ruinwen
:)

4:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BBQ Shrimp...mmmm, that sounds REAL good. In the shell? Or not?
Hope you enjoyed your holiday weekend!

7:12 PM  
Blogger Stacie said...

That is such a great green! Have fun knitting and gardening, woo hoo!

7:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're welcome :-)

9:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home