A View from Sierra County

Small town life and politics, lots of knitting, and travels with and without my five burros

My Photo
Name:
Location: In the Sierra Nevadas, United States

I blog about rural living and social issues, and the creativity that comes from knitting, as well as post random pictures of the Sierras and my burros. "In order to be an artist, one must be deeply rooted in the society" - Simone de Beauvoir


Knittingstephaniesfriendbanner



Friday, May 05, 2006

What Are You Making For May?

I know that you were beginning to think it was all about the food around here, and that's a big part of May, as well as beginning to get out and work with the burros more, now that the weather is nice. But, there's still, and always, knitting going on around here. In fact, while attending an inservice this morning, I finished one variegated washcloth (greens) and started on another (pastels)... they go that fast!

My main goal is to finish the ruana, and since I have made it past the halfway point, feel somewhat optimistic, but you all know what it's like to knit all day, hoping for 10 inches and seeming to only turn out two. I know there's a good chance that the second half won't be as exciting as the first (kind of like 'second-sock' syndrome, only bigger), but I am still enjoying the time spent in my knitting chair, watching the stripes go by. I wanted to be even more random than Fibonacci, but have used the sequence for parts, and then thrown in an out-of-sequence mix of rows, then gone back to dear ol' Fib... I still love the various shades of light purples and the occasional surprises thrown in and I think I will enjoy using this item for a long while.

Since I am finished with Mountain Stream, I was all set to go back to Mountain Peaks, and I will, but I am going to switch yarns, so will have to wait to re-start (hey, third time's the charm, they say) until I can get together with Anna and get some of her laceweight.

I also intend to dig out DD's skimpy tank and re-do the sleeve (actually, make a new, correct and third sleeve, and see which one was the wrong version - there are two tiny cap sleeves ready, but they don't match, and it started raining in earnest early last fall when I figured that out, so she said "just wait till spring" - tempting words to a fickle and sanguine knitter like me).

I am awaiting the arrival of my Rowan Calmer in the color Sour (which is actually a pale apple green) so that I can get started on CeCe... it would be really great to have it done to wear to Estes Park next month, but since I bought the yarn from one of the Ebay yarn stores based in Britain, who knows when I will be able to start.

There's usually a little something unexpected that slips in each month, and here is May's:


This is my version of Nautie, about three-fourths of the body is done. I am using some Noro Blossom that I received as a gift earlier this year, and it is absolutely perfect for this... the colors look very "natural" and earthy. But in keeping with the playful spirit, the face will be pale pink! I am planning to hang my Nautie in our large bathroom window, which overlooks our private inner yard.

I had a nice conversation with Anna of My Fashionable Life earlier this week about fun and sexy summer knitting, and eagerly await what designs she might publish that I can make up later in the season. I also hanker to make the Elsebeth Lavold top I never got around to before winter. So, what are YOU working on this month?

8 Comments:

Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

Wow...you've got all these projects planned...

I am still working on April... :). I began a pair of socks for Project Spectrum "Yellow/Orange" and am still chugging along...I hope they fit...or my mom gets another pair :).

May...yet another pair of socks! (I think I can officially say I'm addicted :)). This time in green for May's PS color :).

I'm also in the planning stages of my first sweater. But I don't know if I'll start it this month or next...I am a S-L-O-W knitter.

6:53 PM  
Blogger Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

Can't wait to see your nautie; the colors are beautiful!

My main hope for May is to finish everything I've started for Fair, finish the ponchette to wear at Fair and finish my Mom's shawl design...I don't want to take on too much :)

Ruinwen
:)

6:06 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Your Nautie is going to look so cute! Perfect colors for it.

I'm not sure what's on tap for my May knitting. I do know that I want to finish a pair of socks I have on the needles and my Rogue hoodie. I also want to start my Mountain stream. That's probably all I can get to this month.

6:29 AM  
Blogger FaeryCrafty said...

Those things are so cute. A girl in my knitting class was making one of them another day.

7:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a feather & fan shawl in progress for charity - it's green, brown, and blue fingering weight merino, and looks like a stream in the mountains. :-) I'm also working on a 'mistake rib' scarf in green/blue/brown/orange Manos for my daughter. That should qualify for May's Project Spectrum, even though I am blogless. ;-) (Not to mention all the fresh greens I got at the Farmer's Market last Saturday - YUM!)

I'm still working on the Peacock Feather shawl in navy blue wool/silk. I have 3 pairs of socks on needles, as well as a child's sweater for charity that just needs seaming (it's orange/red, for April's PS project). And, um, 2 pair of alpaca wristwarmers... Do you think I might have a slight case of start-itis? ;-)

I want to see an in-progress picture of your ruana!

8:02 AM  
Blogger Stacie said...

I'm also awaiting a shipment from Britian, some needles to get movin on the Odessa for Odessa KAL. I got enough yarn to make matching Mrs, Beetons and can't wait for winter (LOL)!

12:06 PM  
Blogger Terri said...

I think your Nautie is going to be great. The color you chose will totally fit the project. You are certainly an organized knitter, and I definitely admire your discipline.

4:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Assuming that I ever finish The Huge Grey Alpaca Sweater of Doom, and assuming that I ever finish the Mountain Peaks Shawl...socks. And wristwarmers. And scarves. Small things, dear gawd. Small, quick things. o_O I have this incredible striped sock yarn that just appeared.... ;)

10:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home