A View from Sierra County

Small town life and politics, lots of knitting, and travels with and without my five burros

My Photo
Name:
Location: In the Sierra Nevadas, United States

I blog about rural living and social issues, and the creativity that comes from knitting, as well as post random pictures of the Sierras and my burros. "In order to be an artist, one must be deeply rooted in the society" - Simone de Beauvoir


Knittingstephaniesfriendbanner



Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Mountain Stream, She is Finished

I am so delighted with this pattern and how lovely (and different) the blocked scarf looks. Lace is just such a leap of faith, not really looking like all that much until you roughly stretch and pin out the points and the pattern finally emerges in all its glory.


Here is the scarf blocked and drying... I made the pattern two repeats longer than stated, as I was using a different yarn, and knew I had plenty. It drapes over my shoulders on each side to a happy length, so I would buy extra yarn if needed to repeat the pattern in the future.


This close up really shows off the detail.

I used Garnstudio Silke-Woole, a gift from my Better Pal, Beth earlier this winter, and I was amazed when I pulled the pins out this morning to see that the silk component helped the pattern to "hold" its stiffness from blocking. I love the dark green color but it did bleed off a lot of dye when I soaked the piece to block.

We are almost past scarf-wearing weather around here, but I will be using it as a light scarf in the early mornings, and also when I am up in the higher elevations. I am still planning to get Mountain Peaks finished, but have made the decision to order some of my friend Anna's charcoal laceweight to make it and to abandon the Alpaca Cloud to another project (possibly Eunny's Print o' the Wave Stole - I am in love with lace).


In other news, please consider taking the Eat Local Challenge participant button I put up on my sidebar, even if you only want to scope out your local possibilities. Anyplace along the spectrum is just fine! The group blog is up and running and well worth a visit to see all the talent and the cross-section of the country represented by our authors.

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Birdsong,

I'm your Dye-O-Rama secret pal. I think the Mountain Stream is exquisite and you took excellent blog pics. I agree with you regarding the "leap of faith" aspect of lace knitting and results like these certainly encourage us all to keep on it. I'm looking forward to getting to know you a little and see more of your work.

Take care.

9:40 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Gorgeous! Just stunning!

10:17 PM  
Blogger Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

Your lace is so lovely! Blocking is the Goddesses gift to knitters. It heals wounds and imperfections and allows the motif to really shine!

You really should be proud of yourself it is beautiful work!

Ruinwen
:)

2:35 AM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

The scarf is fabulous!

5:47 AM  
Blogger Bear Knits said...

It's gorgeous! Do you think Alpaca Cloud would work for this pattern?

7:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pretty, pretty! Congratulations!

9:28 AM  
Blogger Stacie said...

It's bee-u-ti-ful!

10:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is very pretty! Wear it with pride!

11:12 AM  
Blogger Nana Sadie said...

OH Birdsong! It's just gorgeous! You have every right to be proud, and of course you're addicted to lace! ;)
((((hugs))))

12:02 PM  
Blogger Carrie K said...

Wow, it came out beautiful! I really love the color too.

Eat Local is such a good idea.

12:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful lace!

I'm visiting my local Farmer's Market every Saturday during May for the Eat Local Challenge. Thanks for the link to the group blog.

1:56 PM  
Blogger FaeryCrafty said...

It is beautiful Birdsong!! I love it!

4:56 PM  
Blogger Birdsong said...

Oh, gosh, I'm blushing - I certainly didn't expect all this praise. Yes, Alpaca Cloud would be perfect for this pattern, in fact I think there's "room" to make it up in a wide variety of yarns, as long as you are getting the tension/stitch definition you want. Hugs to everybody for the kinds words.

8:35 PM  
Blogger Vicki Knitorious said...

Beautiful! Just beautiful!!

11:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The scarf is wonderful, Birdsong!

10:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home