A View from Sierra County

Small town life and politics, lots of knitting, and travels with and without my five burros

My Photo
Name:
Location: In the Sierra Nevadas, United States

I blog about rural living and social issues, and the creativity that comes from knitting, as well as post random pictures of the Sierras and my burros. "In order to be an artist, one must be deeply rooted in the society" - Simone de Beauvoir


Knittingstephaniesfriendbanner



Monday, December 12, 2005

Product Review: Cascade 220

Stats:

Yarn name: Cascade 220
Weight: worsted
Manufacture:Cascade
Size: Worsted: 220 yds/100 gm skein
Bulky: 125 yds/4 oz skein
Fibers: 100 % wool
MSRP: $6.60 per skein

I have already featured Lambs Pride as one of my favorite yarns to make an item to felt, but I have to say that Cascade 220 is the nicest one to knit with for the pre-felting process. It has the softest hand sliding through the fingers, doubled as I usually do to produce a thickly felted fabric post-washing, and comes in heathered colors, which also makes it extra-special. The felted fabric produced is crisper than that with the added mohair content, so a lot depends on the final effect you desire. This is also a workhorse of a worsted, and would be especially nice for childrens' sweaters, as it isn't as "scratchy" as some of the other wool choices while every bit as warming.

It is a great deal, offering more yards for less money than Lamb's Pride worsted at the standard retail price, while still being a high quality wool. The wool is from Peru, where Elann's Peruvian Highland and Knitpicks Wool of the Andes come from, and while all three are similar in knitted or felted appearance, I would prefer this one overall for an all wool, handwash garment.

In other news, thanks for the comments on my knitted skirt. I have also decided to extend the deadline for the chenille contest for one more week, as I was too busy to post the details to the knitting lists I am on (or should I say behind on?), so there is still time to either email me or comment and let me know to add you to the drawing, to be held next Monday, December 19th at 8:00 P.M.

1 Comments:

Blogger Carole Knits said...

I love Cascade 220 for a basic worsted weight wool. The colors are great and it's soft and affordable. What more could a knitter want, right?

4:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home