A View from Sierra County

Small town life and politics, lots of knitting, and travels with and without my five burros

My Photo
Name:
Location: In the Sierra Nevadas, United States

I blog about rural living and social issues, and the creativity that comes from knitting, as well as post random pictures of the Sierras and my burros. "In order to be an artist, one must be deeply rooted in the society" - Simone de Beauvoir


Knittingstephaniesfriendbanner



Thursday, January 12, 2006

Not My Week

When I am excited about attending a long meeting, simply to get in some "quality" knitting time and some respite from my daily grind, you know things are out of whack. Without boring you all with the gruesome details, things truly went from bad to worse last Friday and haven't recovered yet. I am really open to considering all options to redefine my life, as the things I thought I had planned around work and weekday are all upended. I am still going to work at two jobs, but a great deal of uncertainty surrounds one, so I will have to try to hang in there, minus much real knitting time, and plus many crises to solve and handle, and hope things ease up... why, I was even accosted at the gas station down in Oroville while coming home Saturday, by someone who insisted I had cut him off in line, even though 3/4th of the lines were going the same direction as I was, and he was on the wrong side of the pumps! Why me?!

While helping to plan for improved rural mental health services today, I was able to knit some more on the Ruffled Shawl, and have set aside part of Saturday for some further progress as well. It is now somewhere around the 250-stitch mark, with 322 total before finishing off with the ruffles, and I am really liking it! My copy of Knitting Workshop arrived, so that I could begin to ponder designs for my Anniversary Pi Shawl if I weren't so busy admiring the watercolors and pencil sketches and biographical photos and stories from Elizabeth Zimmerman's prolific and artistic life ... what an inspiration! Eventually (and it better be soon, as cast on date is Jan 22nd!) I will settle down and plan out my shawl.

My spinning guild newsletter also arrived in today's mail, and the guild will be presenting a two-day intermediate to advanced knitting class taught by designer Joan Schrouder; unfortunately, its a Tues-Wed class, and I will be working. The problem with not having had either job long enough to earn any leave time.....

At least I have Spinning Saturday to look forward to, as well as hobnobbing with filmgoers at the soon-to-be-world-famous Wild and Scenic Environmental Film Festival in downtown Nevada City this weekend. I don't have the time to spend viewing the films (at least not if I want to hang out with the spinners and knit:), but am going to try to fit in Saturday morning cartoons! If you live nearby, there is probably still half a chance of getting tickets, but Internet ticket sales are already closed, and many of the time slots sold out last year. You heard it here first.

4 Comments:

Blogger Carole Knits said...

I'm sorry things are a mess for you right now. I hope that get better really fast!

5:27 AM  
Blogger FaeryCrafty said...

Big hugggsss to you :)

5:56 PM  
Blogger Shelob said...

Hang in there! It you can design a shawl and handle charts, you've obviously already got what it takes to get the rest of it sorted out! The Zimmerman book sounds wonderful -- tell us more when you get the chance! Is there a favorite watercolor or story yet?

9:32 PM  
Anonymous La Ganoderma said...

Goood post

8:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home