A View from Sierra County

Small town life and politics, lots of knitting, and travels with and without my five burros

My Photo
Name:
Location: In the Sierra Nevadas, United States

I blog about rural living and social issues, and the creativity that comes from knitting, as well as post random pictures of the Sierras and my burros. "In order to be an artist, one must be deeply rooted in the society" - Simone de Beauvoir


Knittingstephaniesfriendbanner



Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Presents?... For Moi?!

I have felt particularly blest the past few days, somewhat swamped in gifties...

First, I picked up Saturday's mail and there were not one, but two, wonderful magazines to go home and gobble up: Interweave Knits, and the first issue of my recently purchased subscription to Spin-Off. How delightful! I greatly enjoyed the article about Annie Modisett, as I admire her fierce sense of creativity (a Knitting Boudica comes to mind), and have already downloaded her Morris Fern Cardigan from the subscriber section of the website, as I love William Morris' designs, and can certainly relate to being inspired by him... this would be a capstone project to my knitting career, but I will "work towards" it! I also plan to make the Swallowtail Shawl (I would call it a shawlette) for a friend, since I already got the exact yarn called for while back at Estes, and would love to make Bianca's Jacket for myself for fall...

Spinoff was the summer issue, which has been out since June, but that was just fine with me, as I hadn't gotten it yet, and wanted to have the Estonian puppet patterns, even though I will probably have to make them from commercial yarn, as it will be quite a while before my own yarn reaches that fine quality. There is a wonderful article by Judith MacKenzie about plying and another great one by Julie Beers about adapting to having MS and still pursuing the arts of spinning and knitting for the soul satisfaction they give; although the accomodations took time and thought, the pleasure eases the pain of her illness- very inspiring to me.

DD approves of Interweave's policy to send out the subscriptions first, before you can pick up the magazine at the newsstands... we both have resented over the years the trend to make sure the flash and glitz is out there, while neglecting your subscription base. Just sayin' ...

Then, Saturday evening, DH returned from the Heart fire complex down in Southern California, bringing me this lovely book; this time he worked as a fire line archaeologist.
The photos are awesome, and I was glad that he took a break in Bishop, one of our favorite Eastern slope (of the Sierras) towns to stretch his legs, get a coffee beverage and comb through the great local bookstore there.

But the best gift came on Monday, when I opened a package locker at the post office to pull out this:

My Knit Sock Swap Kit! Assembled by Kat, who lives in the dubiously tropical-sounding town of Jamaica Plains, it
includes a fabulous felted bag (see closer-up, below for more accurate color portrayal), a Fiber Trends sock pattern and the necessary long Addi Turbo to make it with the Magic Loop method, some wonderfully-colored merino/tencel hand-dyed yarn, goodies (Cranberry Bog Frogs are most excellent, and there was dark chocolate, tea, and a little Maple Sugar Man), and very useful tools:


Note the little box... it is really a tape measure! There are also cucumber eye patches, for when my eyes get tired from knitting so much... she thought of everything. I am completed spoiled and delighted, and thanks so much, Kat. This turned out to be such a fun and entertaining swap - hats off to Scout again, she sure comes up with good ones.

Fabulous felted bag, nestling among pots on the plant table, with way cool yarn poking out.

8 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Love the felted bag.

What a nice swap!

8:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Prettiness! Don't you just love being spoiled? :)

8:49 AM  
Blogger Nana Sadie said...

Oh oh oh oh oh! A Maple Sugar Man! OH. Growing up I spent my summers in Vermont - the best place in the world for Maple sugar...Maple syrup. (sigh) Memories...
And I'm gonna make that Swallowtail Shawl, too...someday!
(btw...you've got another gifty on the way! Your prize for guessing my mound of knitting was the entrelac tote from Knitpicks! Mailed today...)
(((hugs)))

10:53 AM  
Blogger Purple Fuzzy Mittens said...

Wow! Lucky you! And thanks for mentioning Oaks of California; I just ordered it for the UNR Library. And the Amazon record lead me to Conifers of California, which we didn't have either, so I ordered it too!

11:01 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

What fun goodies! Lovely felted bag, and gorgeous yarn.

Thank you for sending me all those spinning links. I think I'm going to take the advice of spinning for 10 minutes a day. Practice really will help.

2:32 PM  
Blogger Carol & Christine said...

You're having a fantastic week!

Love the bag, the color's, it's very handy and just too fab!

4:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What Fun :-)

That felted bag is just beautiful! What a thoughful swap.

Enjoy!

5:45 AM  
Blogger ~Jody said...

Awesome kit!! Loving that yarn! And speaking of dark chocolate...I broke into that bar you sent me yesterday. Oh.MY.GOD. GhiriWHO?? Way yummy!! Thanks again.

7:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home