A View from Sierra County

Small town life and politics, lots of knitting, and travels with and without my five burros

My Photo
Name:
Location: In the Sierra Nevadas, United States

I blog about rural living and social issues, and the creativity that comes from knitting, as well as post random pictures of the Sierras and my burros. "In order to be an artist, one must be deeply rooted in the society" - Simone de Beauvoir


Knittingstephaniesfriendbanner



Tuesday, July 18, 2006

O is for Oasis


Our inner backyard is in the shade most of the hot summer afternoon, providing us with a cool oasis while the Mediterranean climate pins us down until evening.


I build up a collection of potted plants each season to keep us company. This year, we are featuring geraniums, a pepper plant, glads which haven't flowered yet, a strawberry pot, basil, cilantro, sweet william, pansies, and a creeping geranium.


I can sit in my knitting chair in the relatively cool shade, while the sun beats down behind me on the front lawn, breathing in the aroma of my jasmine, partially in view on the right side of the photo. Heaven is right outside my bedroom door.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, an oasis, that sounds wonderful! I wish we had a larger area of the yard that was always in the shade, but alas despite the fact that our house is 30 years old there is little established landscaping. We have a ton of trees, but they are still quite young and small relatively speaking.

1:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I love your knitting nook!

Glad to know you guys have an escape from this heat right in your own backyard :-)

1:44 PM  
Blogger FaeryCrafty said...

I'm so sorry that you lost Louise, and I'm sorry I didn't say it sooner. I am so behind on my blog reading. Are your kids ok? I hope they are coping with the loss of their step-mom's sister. Hugs to you all :)

2:58 PM  
Blogger Stacie said...

Ooo I Love yer O! I am getting behind, gotta shoot pics for my N still!

8:57 PM  
Blogger Dropstitchknitter said...

Sounds very inviting and definitly like heaven!

3:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home