A View from Sierra County

Small town life and politics, lots of knitting, and travels with and without my five burros

My Photo
Name:
Location: In the Sierra Nevadas, United States

I blog about rural living and social issues, and the creativity that comes from knitting, as well as post random pictures of the Sierras and my burros. "In order to be an artist, one must be deeply rooted in the society" - Simone de Beauvoir


Knittingstephaniesfriendbanner



Tuesday, July 11, 2006

N is for Nevada

I can't really say exactly why, but I just love Nevada. We live less than two hours from Reno, and it is often the springboard for great adventures throughout the state. I love visiting the desert and the high mountains both. I love touring across the empty lands and staring up into the big, huge, blue skies.

I love the Wild West history and lore:


Goldfield Hotel side view Posted by HelloThe abandoned Goldfield hotel

I love being able to see mustangs in the wild:


A small band outside Virginia City

I love the crazy events they put on over there, like Hot August Nights:


 Posted by Picasa

I have driven across Nevada in a blizzard and snowboarded on the slopes. It's cold, it's hot, there's blowing sand, there's snakes and bugs and still I find it all very beautiful.


A storm descending upon Lake Tahoe

Frequent viewers might recognize one or two of these photos, for they are among the best in my collection of Nevada shots, more of which will follow in the future, I'm sure!

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OOooo, thanks for the virtual trip to Nevada! I've never been (I'm terribly untraveled).

3:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Makes me want to take a road trip! Especially to see Wild Mustangs :-)

5:16 PM  
Blogger beadlizard said...

I think I like the buttes up by Snowville the very most. The land has a sacred, still feel to it. --Syl

5:50 PM  
Blogger Lynette said...

I recognize a couple of the photos! The one of Lake Tahoe is fairly recent, yes? I've only been to Las Vegas. Reno and 'Ginny City in Nevada, but they are all a blast!

6:29 PM  
Blogger Carol & Christine said...

I love your photos. They capture more than words or a story. I wouldn't even share the photo of the horses... it would have gone to the printers, blown up and hanging on my wall, for only myself and company to enjoy. I love that photo!

I love hearing of your travels!
Christine

8:04 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I like Nevada as well. I've been there the most, other than Oregon, and love Lake Tahoe, some of the small historic towns, and wildlife. Beautiful pictures!

10:31 PM  
Blogger Stacie said...

Out here in the midwest, there just isn't the same kind of open space you get in Nevada. You picked a great state to feature as "N"!

10:16 AM  
Blogger Carrie K said...

Nice pictures! My parents are driving across NV right now, coming back from a visit to my aunt's in ID.

2:23 PM  
Blogger kathy b said...

Your posts are poetic photography for me.

7:23 AM  
Blogger mary grimm said...

I'm going to be in Lake Tahoe next week for a writers' retreat (or is that "at Lake Tahoe"?) so I'll be able to see some of that scenery for myself.

6:05 PM  
Blogger Purple Fuzzy Mittens said...

It is great to hear other folks appreciate the state I have grown to love! I moved to Reno 10 years ago and I can't imagine living anywhere else.

9:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home