A View from Sierra County

Small town life and politics, lots of knitting, and travels with and without my five burros

My Photo
Name:
Location: In the Sierra Nevadas, United States

I blog about rural living and social issues, and the creativity that comes from knitting, as well as post random pictures of the Sierras and my burros. "In order to be an artist, one must be deeply rooted in the society" - Simone de Beauvoir


Knittingstephaniesfriendbanner



Sunday, June 25, 2006

M is for Mommy

My greatest accomplishment isn't the complicated lace, nor is it the Masters in Humanities and Leadership, or even the thirteen years living in the backcountry of the Sierras, hiking in all winter long, although all three of these are right at the top. My greatest accomplishment has been being a mother, and ending up happy with the results. Frequent readers know that photos of family often grace my pages, as well as stories of our adventures. I have three children who were all born at home: Jesse, 20, Nikki, 22, and Cody, 27, and a step-son (also born at home, but not to me), Rex, 27. I ordered my life and my choices around actively raising them, and have never regretted the choices I made. I worked at a variety of jobs, and didn't finish my own education until the oldest was already in college, but sure had a lot of fun along the way.


My oldest son and I dancing at our Christmas party. Posted by Picasa


"MY Mommy" is the frequent and humorous cry between siblings, echoing back to when they were little. I am so very lucky to be close to my children, all young adults now. Posted by Picasa


Nikki, me, Jesse, and Cody Posted by Picasa

Sadly, my own mother died in 1995, of emphysema. I was deeply involved in helping her make care decisions for my father, who developed Alzheimers at age 62, and then in meeting with doctors over her care as well, and really got to give back to her when she needed it. I was a single mother at that time, and it was one of the most stressful, but I am grateful to be able to say I could be there for her. I still miss her, but the love I was raised with grew into the love that I raised children with, and hopefully will guide each of them when I am gone.

7 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

What beautiful children. Motherhood is certainly a huge job!

5:30 PM  
Blogger Vicki Knitorious said...

As I finished reading this, I couldn't help but think, "L is for Legacy." I can see it in their faces, and in yours.

Beautiful.

5:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great "M". You're so lucky to have such close relationships with your children.

Your Sock Kit Pal

6:04 PM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

It's obvious from the photos and stories you've shared that you've done a great job as a mom.

6:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What wonderful children, and how lucky they are to have a mom like you!

7:43 AM  
Blogger jen said...

Oh, that almost made me cry! How sweet. My own kids (3 and 6) always argue, "MY mommy!", too. :) I hope they never grow out of it either.

7:12 PM  
Blogger Cody said...

For all of you in blogland, she is MY Mommy. And always will be. Moms, I am so fortunate and thank a higher power everyday that I was blessed with someone so wonderful to guide me through this crazy world. Thank you and I love you. PS, worst picture of me ever.

10:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home