A View from Sierra County

Small town life and politics, lots of knitting, and travels with and without my five burros

My Photo
Name:
Location: In the Sierra Nevadas, United States

I blog about rural living and social issues, and the creativity that comes from knitting, as well as post random pictures of the Sierras and my burros. "In order to be an artist, one must be deeply rooted in the society" - Simone de Beauvoir


Knittingstephaniesfriendbanner



Saturday, July 15, 2006


This Saturday's sky was taken at Packer Lake, where several osprey were competing with the kids attending Kids Fishing Day, an annual event to promote fishing for trout in our local lakes. I kept trying, hoping to be able to show you the distinctive wing bands on the undersides, important to identifying these birds, although sitting at lake edge and listening to three of them communicating with each other made me realize that their call is just as distinctive.

5 Comments:

Blogger beadlizard said...

One of the lakes near my farm where I used to swim on hot summer days had a resident osprey. The lake also had mergansers. Momma merganser would pop the chicks on her back and paddle out of the reeds and glide along right next to me, knowing I'd protect her. For some reason the osprey always dove for me, not her, when we swam together!

6:05 PM  
Blogger Sandy said...

How wonderful! I love it!
:)

6:43 PM  
Blogger Dropstitchknitter said...

Beautiful!!! That's my kind of Sky - they do have distinctive markings, calls and have you noticed how they hold their wings in an "M" shape at times?

5:10 AM  
Blogger Carrie K said...

Gorgeous! Birds. You can never get them to slow down enough to take a really good pic with a digital camera. Or maybe that's just me. Beautiful sky.

6:56 AM  
Blogger Beryl Moody said...

Sardine sandwiches might bring the Osprey in closer:-) I've seen them too at some of the lakes on Grouse Ridge. I think they like the fish planting idea as well as the fishermen do.

8:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home