A View from Sierra County

Small town life and politics, lots of knitting, and travels with and without my five burros

My Photo
Name:
Location: In the Sierra Nevadas, United States

I blog about rural living and social issues, and the creativity that comes from knitting, as well as post random pictures of the Sierras and my burros. "In order to be an artist, one must be deeply rooted in the society" - Simone de Beauvoir


Knittingstephaniesfriendbanner



Friday, July 28, 2006

An Update on Trekking Sock V2.0

My second pair of Trekking socks is progressing nicely, especially since I have decided that I want to make them shorter than Mim designed the pattern. I like to have ankle length socks in this hot climate for summer hiking, so made a 3 1/2 inch leg, instead of the more usual 7, and started the heel flap last night, but was too tired to make it all the way through the heel.

It appears that the heat wave has finally broken, but that means the temp. yesterday was 98 instead of over 100, so the sock, DD and a little bitty friend of ours spent part of the afternoon here:


Jackson Hole, North Yuba river


Anabel pretended to be sleeping. Perhaps she was bored by the sock.


Here's a close up, showing off the nice cuff rib pattern.

Now, I am off to get ready to run an errand in Sacramento, then head to Dixon for Lambtown, which opens today at noon. I won't be taking any classes, but will be eyeing the sheep and the fiber. I promise you photos. Have a great weekend.

6 Comments:

Blogger Nana Sadie said...

Lovely sock...lovely swimming hole!
Have a great weekend yourself!
(((hugs)))

7:52 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

You'll have to let us know how Lambtown is. I was going to go, but a family commitment came up.

8:43 AM  
Blogger Purple Fuzzy Mittens said...

What an inviting looking place! Your picture makes me long to escape the heat and find a nice shady swimming hole. My approach to getting out of the heat wave is to head down to Tucson. Believe it or not, the predicted highs for Tucson for the next week are almost 20 degrees cooler than for Reno! Plus there will be A/C, which I don't have here. I'll miss Lambtown though, so I am looking forward to your pictures.

1:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi I am glad you stopped by. I have not heard of the name of your Ophir family. My family is Vega. My grandfather came here from portugal in 1918 and started fruit farming we stll have the family ranch. Love your pic of the Yuba. I love the yuba my favorite river I lived on the yuba one summer back in the day. I also lived for a year in N.C. Beautiful area up where your at, still small town like it was here at one time.I hope we can cross paths some time...

11:36 PM  
Blogger Stacie said...

Man, I wanna jump in that water right now!! Still hot and sticky where I live.... Yuba River...mmmmm..... socks, yuck! Feet too sweaty!
ps, if ya can't tell, I'm hot!

1:26 PM  
Blogger kathy b said...

Birdsong

The water looks so wonderful. I cannot wait to see the lambs.
Hot here too.

Hope you'll enter my 500th post contest. hop over and see.

7:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home