A View from Sierra County

Small town life and politics, lots of knitting, and travels with and without my five burros

My Photo
Name:
Location: In the Sierra Nevadas, United States

I blog about rural living and social issues, and the creativity that comes from knitting, as well as post random pictures of the Sierras and my burros. "In order to be an artist, one must be deeply rooted in the society" - Simone de Beauvoir


Knittingstephaniesfriendbanner



Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Desert Island yarns

Margene had a post this morning about choosing yarns to take with you to a desert island, and I couldn't stop spinning this around in my mind all day. I realized that I don't try very hard to keep up with the most current yarn brands, and would have a hard time narrowing down further than general categories into very specific brand/types, so thought instead about all the things I would need to make for myself on a desert island as well as the ones I want to make in the future. I actually thrive on a balance between fantasy and practicality, and even enjoyed thinking about making such items to beautify every day life on a desert isle as seating, floor covering, utensils, etc. Would it be possible to knit everything I needed? I thought about other materials besides the luxury yarns (just couldn't stop myself, I guess) and ruled out copper wire, but thought there might be a place for recycled colorful and pliant telephone wire and computer networking cabling... I am sure I went way off on a tangent from the original intention devised by her friend Julia, but it kept me entertained through about two hours of driving! Thanks, Margene and Julia.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home