A View from Sierra County

Small town life and politics, lots of knitting, and travels with and without my five burros

My Photo
Name:
Location: In the Sierra Nevadas, United States

I blog about rural living and social issues, and the creativity that comes from knitting, as well as post random pictures of the Sierras and my burros. "In order to be an artist, one must be deeply rooted in the society" - Simone de Beauvoir


Knittingstephaniesfriendbanner



Monday, October 31, 2005

Product Review: Jewels

Stats:

Yarn name: Jewels
Weight: Chunky
Manufacture:Skacel
Size: 50 gram/1 3/4 oz. ball/104 yards
Fibers: 40% tactel, 30% nylon, 28% cotton, 2% lurex
MSRP: $13.99 per ball

Jewels is a unique and fun yarn that doesn't have fur... the color combinations are very lush and interesting, and the tactel adds a non-reflecting quality that seems to deepen the colors. It is not a yarn for beginners, though, as it is multiple strands of the different materials, rather loosely plied together, making it easy to split, accidentally increase, or even drop.


This photo does a good job of showing the two strands of fibers... the thin chained thread (probably the cotton and definitely the lurex) and the thick/thin tactel-nylon combo. Posted by Picasa


Here is a close up of the narrow scarf I am making with Jewels... a more dramatic person might make a whole sweater from it, or a bag (although it won't felt - no wool in it) and find that the knitting went very quickly and the texture had a cozy, wrap-its-arms-around-you sort of feel... I have been watching what I am attracted to when clothes shopping, and it is mostly solid colors, so this will be a great accent piece for me. Posted by Picasa

I chose to feature this yarn because there is such a wide array of textural yarn available these days, that it is fun to see what they look like. I find it too pricey for a larger item, and know I would get bored with whatever I made, besides a scarf...but it is exciting to see so much creativity being poured into creating new yarns for us knitters. Happy Knitting!

1 Comments:

Blogger Nana Sadie said...

What cool yarn! Just lovely, and the burros are so sweet, too...I'm going to try Suzanne's ebony needles, too.
(((hugs)))

11:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home