A View from Sierra County

Small town life and politics, lots of knitting, and travels with and without my five burros

My Photo
Name:
Location: In the Sierra Nevadas, United States

I blog about rural living and social issues, and the creativity that comes from knitting, as well as post random pictures of the Sierras and my burros. "In order to be an artist, one must be deeply rooted in the society" - Simone de Beauvoir


Knittingstephaniesfriendbanner



Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Product Review: Ebony knitting needles

Stats:

Yarn name: Susanne's Ebony Knitting Needles
Manufacture:Klass & Gessmann
MSRP: $16.99 for one circular 24 inch, size 8

"What?! Monday's Product Review not ready till Tuesday? Off with her head!" cried the Queen of Hearts. "Wait... first, let me at least tell you about the most amazing knitting needles ever ...", I wailed.

On Saturday during our visit to Heartstrings Yarn Studio, I noticed a box of unusual circular knitting needles ... they were black. Lucky for me, there was a little store-made sign saying they were ebony, as I can't read German... they are "Susanne's Edelholz Rundstricknadel/Flex-Stricknadeln", for those of you who can. Now, I have always been somewhat skeptical about items made for crafters out of exotic hardwoods, thinking that someone had decided to use more expensive materials to get more money out of us. However, I was attracted to these, and decided to get a 24 inch long size 5 mm (US 8) since I would get the most use out of that size, given the sizes available. I had finally found a birthday present for myself, and they cost roughly the same as Addi Turbos, so didn't really seem to out of line to me. The knitting tips are made from ebony wood, and attached to a plastic cable with gold metal (brass?) fittings that felt very smooth.

I took them home and started on the mystery project below, using some mystery yarn I purchased at the same time.. and from the very first insertion of needle tip into knit stitch, I was in love. These needles have the right heft, the warmth of wood that I love about my bamboo needles, and yet feel warmer and smoother going in and out of stitches than any other needles I have ever used (and, remember, I have been knitting for 46 years - since age 5, on almost every kind available). They also make a very lovely, satisfying clicking sound as I knit with them, and put me right in the meditation zone I so enjoy when knitting projects that allow concentration on the process more than the pattern. I began reconstructing my project list in order to plot out what I could make using them next.


I am not telling you what I am making till next week's Product Review covering this unusual yarn. Posted by Picasa

I did a little searching, and discovered that you can purchase these lovely needles in several sizes online from Patternworks: here's the needle chart. Their price of $15.00 a needle is a little better than the $16.99 I paid, but that includes Heartstring's shipping, instead of me paying Patternworks, so it's all good. If you want to start dropping hints to family members about special holiday gifts, these are certainly the perfect item for that list.

4 Comments:

Blogger FaeryCrafty said...

I loooooooooove Ebony needles!! I would have every size if I could :)

10:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe that these needles are made from the wood that is leftover from making musical instruments.

9:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Birdsong,

Could you please get in touch with me by email : info@klass-gessmann.de

It is about your review and I'm the owner of Susanne's Needles (Klass - Gessmann)

Regards,
Kenan

2:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am having trouble using my size 5 ebony needles on silk fingering yarn. The stitches catch on the part of the needle where the metal meets the plastic. It takes a long time to manually ease (really push) the stitches back up the needle. Any suggestions?

6:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home