A View from Sierra County

Small town life and politics, lots of knitting, and travels with and without my five burros

My Photo
Name:
Location: In the Sierra Nevadas, United States

I blog about rural living and social issues, and the creativity that comes from knitting, as well as post random pictures of the Sierras and my burros. "In order to be an artist, one must be deeply rooted in the society" - Simone de Beauvoir


Knittingstephaniesfriendbanner



Friday, October 14, 2005

Surprises in the Mail

Last night was a later-than-usual evening for me, since my staff and I had to attend a training meeting an hour and a half from my home. At least dinner was provided, at a great Mexican restuarant, Los Dos Hermanos, in Sierraville. Yes, there really ARE two brothers running the business, providing scrumpious, authentic dishes. I had the chile rellanos, and was pleasantly surprised to find that they were truly a little spicy, not bland like at most restaurants.

The last stop on the drive home is always the local Camptonville post office, where all the mail arrives. I had a key to a package locker in my box, which is always a pick-me-up... ever the optimist, I usually think to myself "it could be yarn!" Mostly, I am wrong, but last night there was a birthday gift awaiting me from Margene. Those of you who met me through Margene will already know how kind-hearted she is; she started the Katrina Relief Collection program last month, where knitters have donated a total of $96,122.81 to date (I don't really understand about the 81 cents part, either, but will have to compulsively make a donation that will round that up to a whole number figure, since I just got paid today).

Margene's box contained these lovely and fun items:


This box included a wonderful note, some chocolate treats, and three skeins of a yummy handspun alpaca in my favorite range of colors. I am going to spend part of the evening digging through patterns, as this yarn has just jumped to the head of the queue and will have to become a scarf or shawlette to wear LOTS this fall and winter. The colors are divine and the feel is heavenly... of course regular readers already know what a huge alpaca fan I am, so this is a delightful and thoughtful gift. Thanks, Margene! Posted by Picasa


It's not that I was feeling neglected, and really needed any more presents. As you can see, my kitchen table is loaded down with flowers, cards, and lovely gifts. The mini pumpkins are destined to get trimmed out just enough to have tea lights set in the tops. Posted by Picasa


I wanted you to get a close-up of the tiny drawing, done by my friend Peggy, who helped me send off Cloths for Katrina. Don't you just love the personalized name? Peggy gave me the (too-dark-to-see) coffee cup candle next to the card. It really does smell just like a cup of the best coffee ever. She also gave me a glossary of embroidery stitches, which may inspire me to pull out an old WIP, a knitted vest done like a crazy quilt, and then embellished in ribbon embroidery. I used to dress in a far more Victorian manner a decade ago; now you can't get me out of my jeans easily and I am not sure I would ever wear that vest anywhere! Posted by Picasa

Another important gift, from my husband, was an excited call last night telling me he had been able to have two long phone chats with his daughter during his off-hours (yes, he is still at the FEMA management center in Beaumont, TX, until Monday). He is structuring his departure from Texas to include a visit, but doesn't know yet if he will continue at the FEMA center one more week... they are beginning to wind down as the relief and recovery efforts take hold in more localized ways down there. I am envious, and wish I could be there.

Tomorrow's post will include photos of fall colors, and fall yarns... I also received an Elann order that has yarns to be turned into coop shop items for fall... scarves in an alpaca bulky and more baby booties. I know many of you in other parts of the country won't give much credence to the claim that there are places where you can see glorious fall colors in California, so I am leaving you with a link to Sacramento Bee photographer Dave Henry's gallery and tips for photographing fall leaves.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoy the yarn. I have a small shawl that I love to wear. It will keep your neck perfectly warm during the winter head...like a hug from me.
The card from Peggy is perfect! Making cards is something I need to figure out.
I hope your dh gets to come home soon! Enjoy your weekend!

1:16 PM  
Blogger Lynette said...

You are a special woman indeed! What lovely gifts from friends.

Thanks for the link to the photo tips...I always learn something new when I visit your blog.

3:15 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

I'm drooling over that alpaca yarn...the colors are so pretty. I think Margene is one of the nicest people in blogland...you're lucky to have her as a friend. :)

6:23 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Happy Belated Birthday!!!

I still have to do that Meme you tagged me for!
The colors up here are very pretty right now....but it does make me miss the east :-(

As for the cell phone cozy, what about messing with the pattern for the felted ipod cozy from knitpicks? Or the cell phone one from Stitch and Bitch? It's not felted but you could work with it.
The knitpicks one is free.....it should be on their site.

9:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home