A View from Sierra County

Small town life and politics, lots of knitting, and travels with and without my five burros

My Photo
Name:
Location: In the Sierra Nevadas, United States

I blog about rural living and social issues, and the creativity that comes from knitting, as well as post random pictures of the Sierras and my burros. "In order to be an artist, one must be deeply rooted in the society" - Simone de Beauvoir


Knittingstephaniesfriendbanner



Monday, October 17, 2005

Product Review: Ocean

Stats:

Yarn name: Ocean
Weight: Bulky
Manufacture:Skacel
Size: 50 gram ball/80 yards
Fibers: 61% cotton, 29% tactel, 10% nylon
MSRP: $7.95 per ball

This is a very tactile woven boucle yarn, dense but very light thanks to the tactel and nylon in its composition, which should also make it somewhat more water-repellant than cotton alone. I didn't realize how chapped my poor hands had been getting from the frequent handwashing we practice at the children's center until I sat down Friday evening to begin whipping up a baby hat for my colleague, Jamie.... the yarn kept catching on my skin, even though it wasn't splitting as I knit it. It would also make a great, fast-knitting lightweight sweater for someone allergic to wool.


Here is the finished baby hat, modeled by my favorite Steiff bear, who is holding a bit of the leftover yarn, so that you can see the great color repeat. Posted by Picasa

I am a little concerned that this fiber combination lacks the long-term elasticity needed for a hat, and realize that this one will have to wait for the newborn to grow into it in several months, but I do love the variegated look.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home