A View from Sierra County

Small town life and politics, lots of knitting, and travels with and without my five burros

My Photo
Name:
Location: In the Sierra Nevadas, United States

I blog about rural living and social issues, and the creativity that comes from knitting, as well as post random pictures of the Sierras and my burros. "In order to be an artist, one must be deeply rooted in the society" - Simone de Beauvoir


Knittingstephaniesfriendbanner



Sunday, September 24, 2006

Forest Canopy Shoulder Shawlette

As promised, I took advantage of the lovely autumn weather on the first day of fall to capture a few views of my completed shawlette. The pattern is available online from Susan Lawrence. I started my version the day I returned home from getting to hang out with Susan and Margene at Great Basin Fiber Fair, using yarn that Margene had dyed under Susan's tutelage in the spring. The colors reflected the Utah landscape for me, especially the trees whose leaves were starting to turn color, and the completed shawlette will wrap me in memories of that wonderful visit and all the fun we had at our spindle class together... so I renamed my personal version "Echoes of Hugs".

Glenn took this photo for me, with our Forest City high country house in the background.
The shawlette is light and lovely and a great accent with fall outfits.

Although the color doesn't quite come through accurately (it misses the pinky sunset shades that led Margene to dub this "Merlot"), the detail is very good.


This shot gives a truer idea of the lovely colors in the yarn.


The pattern was an absolute joy to knit, easy to see unfolding as I went along, and short enough to be finished quickly (just over two weeks of about an hour a day). The instructions include a great tutorial for those who have never knitted lace before, and although I have knitted quite a few lacy items over the years, this is the first finished piece that done in laceweight. I loved the edging, which is a creative extension and finishing off of the pattern, and the two-row bind-off allowed the edging to remain elastic, while being easy to complete. The points all finished blocking very nicely!

In fact, I loved the pattern so much that I started a second one, a gift, in a dusty green Misti Alpaca, re-learning that not all laceweights are the same, as this second version needs a needle size smaller, which I will have to pick up tomorrow. I highly recommend Susan's pattern for those beginning to think about gift knitting!

21 Comments:

Blogger Dropstitchknitter said...

It's so lovely - the pattern and the color of the yarn are just wonderful - the color indeed conjures up Fall!

3:32 AM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

It's beautiful, Birdsong. And the memories it brings back will make it special forever.

3:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is absolutely beautiful. Great color. Great pattern.

5:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorgeous shawlette! I'm going to have to make this one.

5:07 AM  
Blogger Nana Sadie said...

OH WOW! I love it! You did a wonderful job!!!
And the color is perfect for autumn...
(((hugs)))

5:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks absolutely wonderful, Birdsong. But I have to tell you, it's blowing my mind to see that shawl knit from my pattern and Margene's yarn and being worn by YOU. Crazy!

5:56 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Gorgeous! I was gifted with that pattern recently have have just enough yarn to knit it in some hand dyed yarn.

I think it will be one of my next projects!

6:05 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Gorgeous shawl!

6:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful shawl. I also have read past posts and on the knitting needles What LUCKY children to have you teach them to knit, but also to make their own tools.

11:26 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Ok, I was so inspired...I cast on this morning after I finished a small project looming before me.

I will probably finish it this week.

Thank you for being such an enabler! ;)

1:32 PM  
Blogger Hannah said...

Lovely! The pictures in the sun are perfect, too.

2:24 PM  
Blogger Purple Fuzzy Mittens said...

Gorgeous! And so wonderful to have connections to good friends and good times!

6:45 PM  
Blogger kathy b said...

Birdsong,

The color is so lovely. The photography justifying the beauty. What a testimonial to her pattern. SOMEDAY I may try lace. Just over 2 weeks? That is amazing. Great great work.

Mailing your lace tomorrow.

7:37 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

What a wonderful color........I have you as my partner for the birthday swap....surprises are in store...

8:34 PM  
Blogger FaeryCrafty said...

That is gorgeous!! Love the color a lot!

9:56 PM  
Blogger Vicki Knitorious said...

So pretty!

9:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorgeous!

3:53 PM  
Blogger Lynette said...

It looks so delicate and light...what a beauty.

5:50 PM  
Blogger beadlizard said...

Beautiful in all ways!

6:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stunning, Birdsong! Beautiful!

10:48 AM  
Blogger ~Jody said...

The shawl came out amazing! Love the colors.

1:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home