A View from Sierra County

Small town life and politics, lots of knitting, and travels with and without my five burros

My Photo
Name:
Location: In the Sierra Nevadas, United States

I blog about rural living and social issues, and the creativity that comes from knitting, as well as post random pictures of the Sierras and my burros. "In order to be an artist, one must be deeply rooted in the society" - Simone de Beauvoir


Knittingstephaniesfriendbanner



Thursday, August 31, 2006

Feeling Better, Thank You, and I'm Outta Here

Thanks, everyone, for good wishes to my recovery. I work at a clinic part-time so have the benefit of consulting multiple minds and offer this reminder - even the best job setting up a buffet, smorgasbord, or salad bar does not prevent cross-contamination of foods. There are times when you will take the chance and mostly be fine, such as at parties or weddings where all the food is set out at once, but there are other times when it would be best to order from the menu.

That travel tip was hard-earned these past few days. Tuesday was a blur of pain, chills, fever, restlessness, and bits of sleep. Yesterday being climbing back up the other side and spending a lot of time in the recliner meant that, while spindling would only make me dizzier, CeCe and I could become better friends. We had renewed our acquaintance over the weekend, and Monday night saw me assembling the parts to work my way up the yoke... those first dozen or so rows seem to take forever.

Then, I noticed yesterday that my fronts were uneven. I wanted to ignore this flaw, but knew it would haunt me every time I wore her. I also knew, that given my hazy state of mind, I would be tempted to throw her in a dark corner before ripping all the way back (actually, I would have carefully tinked). I decided to go online and take a look at Margene's and Dorothy's versions... I knew each of them had successfully finished and now loved theirs.

What did I do? Something fairly novel... I decided to isolate the part that needed to be converted from pattern to plain stockinette to match the other side (do you think I should have counted better in the first place, so both sides matched? do you think?!), and then treat them as droppped stitches and pick them back up. Ya know, it worked! I am so impressed with this lovely Rowan Calmer yarn, having the stretchy moxie to allow me to get away with this... it kept me entertained with my cleverness (am even more easily amused when ill and low on oxygen to the brain, obviously) and now I am starting to see some shrinking in row length.

CeCe will be accompanying me on my visit to Margene, Smith and the Great Basin Fiber Fair. So will my Trekking sock and my favorite spindle, and maybe a few clothes, but must leave room for fiber purchases. We leave in the morning! I am almost well enough to be excited, but still hope not to be too excited to get a good night's sleep tonight, as I am a little wiped out, and spent part of the afternoon on DD's couch between two of my jobs. My class is on Sunday, so Saturday I get to spend time with Laurie at her soap booth. And guess what famous SLC celeb is picking me up at the airport? Lacy Susan herself! I feel like royalty.

There will be no Saturday Sky on Saturday, but check out Margene's to see what I am ogling... I will have lots of photos when I return, and will be announcing a contest in honor of my 375th post, coming right up!

8 Comments:

Blogger FaeryCrafty said...

Have a great trip!

6:53 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Have a lovely trip? By the way, what's your favorite spindle?

6:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Famous SLC celeb" -- I don't think so. ;)

7:01 AM  
Blogger Dorothy Neville said...

glad to hear the bug was short lived and that CeCe is moving along. Your solution to miscounting was perfect for its simplicity. I bet will be finished in no time. After those endless dozen rows, it really speeds up, doesn't it.

if anyone wants to see my finished CeCe it is at http://madorville.blogspot.com/2006/07/cece-is-fini.html
I really do love it.

hope your trip is/was fun. looking forward to reading about it and seeing your finished CeCe.

7:24 AM  
Blogger Nana Sadie said...

Have a wonderful trip! Can't wait for the photos...essay, etc.
(((hugs)))

7:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad you're feeling better. Have a wonderful time at the festival!

7:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have fun! I'm glad you're feeling better. And bravo on the successful incision and surgery on CeCe.

12:16 PM  
Blogger Stitch-n-Snitch said...

It was great to meet you on Saturday! Glad you're feeling better, too. :)

6:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home