A View from Sierra County

Small town life and politics, lots of knitting, and travels with and without my five burros

My Photo
Name:
Location: In the Sierra Nevadas, United States

I blog about rural living and social issues, and the creativity that comes from knitting, as well as post random pictures of the Sierras and my burros. "In order to be an artist, one must be deeply rooted in the society" - Simone de Beauvoir


Knittingstephaniesfriendbanner



Sunday, May 08, 2005

Happy Mother's Day

I hope all my fellow knitters are having a wonderful Mother's Day with their mamas, their children, or the mothers of their children (yes, there are a few male knitters out there as well; look below for a photo of my son learning to knit).


Here I am, very happily perusing my Mother's Day gift from Cody and Nikki, while we wait for our brunch to be served at the Downieville Diner, I got to go out to breakfast with two of our five children and my husband. My youngest son had brought up flowers the day before, but had to work today. My stepdaughter lives in Texas, where she is enjoying her very first Mother's Day as a mama herself, and my stepson also couldn't make it this year. Posted by Hello

I decided to share a bit of what I have learned from my children for this Mother's Day post. My oldest son has taught me courage, how to snowboard, and how to graciously go through trauma (see the post about his emergency surgery last month). He has also reminded me by his actions that every day we have the choice whether we are going to face life with joy or despair, whether we are going to be happy or grumpy, positive or negative. I choose joy!

My daughter has taught me so much about positive self-image. I have had a long and checkered history with food, including lots of uncontrollable cravings and ups and downs with weight. I always saw myself as heavier than I actually was, but have come to a much more positive place with that in the past five years. She has been my cheerleader when I struggled, my exercise partner, and my fashion consultant, urging me to buy new clothes when I shed twenty pounds back in 2000. She taught me how to straighten my hair, too, and wear makeup occasionally, just for the fun of it. Some of you who have to work hard to curl your hair are probably wondering why anyone would want to go to the trouble to straighten their hair. But, when you have long, thick, heavy hair like we do, straightening it adds enough air/volume to make it less clinging and it feels lighter.

My youngest son has taught me determination, and encouraged me through his questioning about how things work over the years to strengthen my business sense. I was always somewhat anti-capitalistic, but I came to realize that I needed to survive in the world where I had landed, rather than in some utopian world that didn't exist. Sort of a variation of "bloom where you are planted". He is also the one that values connections with people.

My stepson came into my single mom-based family when I married his dad eleven years ago. It was pretty rough in the beginning, joining two households with teenaged sons, but somehow we hung in there and made it. Glenn had raised Rex almost entirely by himself for twelve years before we were wed, and I am happy that Rex learned to accomodate to siblings. They are all pretty close now. Rex taught me that people are flexible, if they allow themselves to be, and flexibility makes relationships a whole lot easier.

My stepdaughter Amy has not seen her father since she was eight. She is now 27, happily married for five years and a new mama. We have been able to establish contact with each other through email and she sends new baby pictures every Monday. She has taught me that things change over time, and that things don't have to be lost forever if you take courage and go after them. I am very grateful to have her as a part of my life now.


Cody takes our picture. He was pretty pleased to go in to Meadowfarm Yarn Studios and ask for the particular knitting book I had on my wish list. The owner recalled that I had been in a few days before, browsing through the book stacks. Posted by Hello


Here's Cody, concentrating on his first scarf, crutches in the background. I taught each of my three children to knit when they were little ones, and he has picked up the mechanism pretty quickly while recuperating. Posted by Hello

6 Comments:

Blogger FaeryCrafty said...

What a wonderful entry :) Happy Mother's Day Birdsong!

7:39 PM  
Blogger Lynette said...

This is a lovely topic. Certainly a primary tenet of motherhood is to teach your children the "ways of the world" but too often we overlook what we can learn from them. I do not have children (yet) but if/when I do, I must remember this. Thanks for sharing.

11:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was so touching to read all the wonderful things you have learned from your family. And what a Mother's Day present! Hope you enjoy the book. Here's a high-five to Cody for learning to knit!!
Oh, and the blue/green diamonds I'm knitting are for this...
http://www.justonemorerow.com/39/cat39.htm?694

2:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi...and happy mom's day! Thanks for the offer for the Vogue pattern... I decided to buy the issue anyways. Its only $6. Thanks, tho!

2:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for the zipper instructions and for the knitting suggestions!!

9:11 AM  
Blogger Nana Sadie said...

Birdsong - I got the same book for Mother's Day - which shawl will you make first? If we make it thru this class at Needlecraft U I'm planning on the feather & fan shawl (not one to ever be considered sound and sane!!!) LOLOL
(((hugs)))
Thank you for your support! (and I love your burro pics!)

12:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home