A View from Sierra County

Small town life and politics, lots of knitting, and travels with and without my five burros

My Photo
Name:
Location: In the Sierra Nevadas, United States

I blog about rural living and social issues, and the creativity that comes from knitting, as well as post random pictures of the Sierras and my burros. "In order to be an artist, one must be deeply rooted in the society" - Simone de Beauvoir


Knittingstephaniesfriendbanner



Thursday, July 28, 2005

Fun with a New Camera

I went to Chico today with my son and daughter to help them arrange their lease... they are both moving there to complete their Bachelors degrees, Nikki leaving home just before her 22nd birthday and Cody leaving Lake Tahoe, where he has lived for eight years. I took advantage of the journey to purchase a replacement camera, and I am very happy with it. I chose another Sony, but the shutter speed is much faster, and it came with a Zeiss lens, which I had been wanting for a while, as the quality of photo tends to be much better. Here are a few examples...


Cody took this photo of me at Fibers, the local Grass Valley yarn shop where we stopped on the way back home. I am handling alpaca (surprised, anyone?), and modeling my completed hot pink tank top. When I put it on this morning, I was so pleased with how well it fit; now I just need to keep eating right and exercising so things stay that way :) Posted by Picasa


Nikki at Fibers. Posted by Picasa


Here is Nikki's tank top, which I have been knitting this week.. the back finished and on a holder! It is going much faster than I expected. Posted by Picasa


While at Fibers, I purchased enough of this turquoise Cascade Yarns Fun, to make the Audrey top in Elsebeth Lavold's book four. Posted by Picasa The pattern calls for Silky Tweed, but the colors available all are too dark to look good on a paleface like me, but I have loved the design since I saw it earlier this spring, and am hoping this will be a good substitute. It is a viscose/cotton blend, and I plan to start it as soon as Nikki's top is finished.


Or maybe I will use this pretty cotton blend from Austermann, called Batika Color that I found on sale for $2.00 a skein last week, to make Stefanie's One Skein Wonder. I bought two just to be safe! Posted by Picasa


My last photo for you tonight is this beautiful wool from Ironstone, a gift from Jenny... who doesn't have a blog to direct you to, but was the lucky winner of my sock kit contest last month. What a sweetheart to send a thank you in yarn! I am saving it for a winter hat. Too bad you can't feel how soft it is... but it does show how good my new camera is at capturing true color. Posted by Picasa

A last note ... I did something I don't normally do, and consider cheating... I discovered that I had never published my story about last week's viewing of MacBeth, but only the photo Cody sent... so, I added to an already-published post. Not cool, but I do want to let you know more about the fabulous Lake Tahoe Shakespeare Festival, so check out the enlarged post below... and have a great weekend!

5 Comments:

Blogger Ruth said...

the tank is lovely!

10:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You look great in the tank and I love the color of yarn you're holding. Good luck to the kids!

8:15 AM  
Blogger FaeryCrafty said...

The new camera takes great pictures. Love the Hot Pink tank on ya!

10:52 AM  
Blogger Birdsong said...

Gosh you guys... I DO love pink! Thanks for the compliments.

11:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that camera IS good! The colors on the Ironstone are right on!! Congrats on the new camera!!Both tanks look lovely. Love the colors on that Austerman. My youngest just moved out last week (not to worry....middle son is a permanent fixture). He was in a big hurry to be on his own. Or, as my dental hygienist says, in a hurry to get his very own set of bills! If I did have a blog, it would have more daydreamin' about knitting than actual finished objects!! I love to contemplate.

1:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home