A View from Sierra County

Small town life and politics, lots of knitting, and travels with and without my five burros

My Photo
Name:
Location: In the Sierra Nevadas, United States

I blog about rural living and social issues, and the creativity that comes from knitting, as well as post random pictures of the Sierras and my burros. "In order to be an artist, one must be deeply rooted in the society" - Simone de Beauvoir


Knittingstephaniesfriendbanner



Monday, September 05, 2005

Feel Like Helping?

Kitt and Sallee have started a new KAL, called "Cloths for Katrina" to collect hand-made washcloths and soap for Katrina survivors... Kitt rode out three hurricanes last year in Florida, and wanted to give back for all the support and caring she and her neighbors received, and has written a very heart-warming and inspiring welcome message to send to those who join this Yahoo group.

All you have to do is knit, crochet, or weave one or more washcloths, and then contact them about where to send it, along with a bar of soap... an easy way to help. My fellow co-op member, Peggy, and I have seven ready to send out, and I am contacting our soap-making community members to get a few donations. I have added both of their buttons to my sidebar at the left, in hopes that my visitors will take one, and spread the word.


Here's part of the stack of facecloths that Peggy and I contributed from the Mountain Harvest Crafts Co-op. I will be continuing to make cloths as my carry-around project this month. Posted by Picasa

In another small effort, my friend Susan, owner of the North Fork Coffee Company in Downieville, decided to dedicate all the money she collected on Thursday and Friday to donate to relief efforts. Susan has 58 relatives in the affected area that she had not been able to contact by this weekend, and please keep her and her family in your prayers.

I edited this entry this evening to add the following photo:

Here is a photo of the North Fork Coffee Company in Downieville, with lots of people waiting around outside for the annual Donkey Races to start on Sunday. Posted by Picasa

It helps my soul to hear about similar small efforts all around the country (and apparently the world). We each have so much within us to give.

2 Comments:

Blogger Nana Sadie said...

Thanks so much, Birdsong, for helping us spread the word, I'll keep your friend's family in my prayers!
(((hugs)))

6:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got a link up on the Give A Little blog. What a great cause!

12:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home