A View from Sierra County

Small town life and politics, lots of knitting, and travels with and without my five burros

My Photo
Name:
Location: In the Sierra Nevadas, United States

I blog about rural living and social issues, and the creativity that comes from knitting, as well as post random pictures of the Sierras and my burros. "In order to be an artist, one must be deeply rooted in the society" - Simone de Beauvoir


Knittingstephaniesfriendbanner



Monday, August 29, 2005

Product Review: Crystal Palace Kid Merino

Stats:

Yarn name: Crystal Palace Kid Merino
Weight: approx. fingering weight but can be used in wide range
Manufacture:Straw Into Gold, Richmond, CA
Size: 25 g. ball/240 yards
Fibers: 28% kid mohair, 28 % merino wool, 44% micro nylon
Ben Franklin price per ball: $5.49 per ball


This is a lovely little yarn that I found at my local Ben Franklin a few months ago. I wanted to use it as a substitute for Rowan Kid Silk Haze to make a scarf to sell at the crafts coop, since the price was so good. I like the feel of the mohair, and it is really a laceweight, so makes a very fine lightweight scarf and would work well for less complex lace patterns in shawls as well. Someone more patient than me would also find that using size one or two needles and making a denser fabric would allow you to use this yarn for a sweet little top.


Although the color is more bluish in this photo, it does show the texture of the yarn well.... a very fine, fuzzy yarn. Posted by Picasa


This is a better color representation, and shows how, even though fuzzy, this yarn would make nice stitch definition if you wanted to use it for a shawl or scarf. I am making a variation of the Airy Scarf pattern from Last Minute Knitted Gifts. I wanted it in stockinette instead of garter stitch, so I am keeping the two stitches at either end of the row in garter to help keep the edges from curling, and am spacing my eyelet rows 10 rows apart. Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home