A View from Sierra County

Small town life and politics, lots of knitting, and travels with and without my five burros

My Photo
Name:
Location: In the Sierra Nevadas, United States

I blog about rural living and social issues, and the creativity that comes from knitting, as well as post random pictures of the Sierras and my burros. "In order to be an artist, one must be deeply rooted in the society" - Simone de Beauvoir


Knittingstephaniesfriendbanner



Wednesday, August 10, 2005

I'm a Published Author!

Yippee! I'm in print! My article for the latest issue of Take Back the Knit, about charity knitting, is the first knitting-related article I have submitted and gotten published (I have had lots of other articles in print, but never made any money at it, so that is why I work three jobs:) I was pretty proud to get my author's copy in the mail yesterday.


Look what Jae has done! Posted by Picasa

This issue continues with the theme that got her started on a knitting zine in the first place - how knitting builds community. Her's has certainly grown, as there are contributors from all over Canada (she publishes in Toronto) and U.S., and she discusses how the online community has grown and supported each of us as well. The feature articles include Hand-Knit Community, Before There Was Stitch and Bitch, Vegan Knitting, Hop On, yo:, Six Reasons Why, Organic Yarns, Knitting for Strangers (me) and Knitting and Breast Cancer.

There are also twelve unusual patterns (including a felted buttonhole tote bag, fingerless gloves, restraints, a bicycle saddle cover, flip-flop socks, and a knitted boob for "fashionable fibre floozies who have lost (a) breast(s) to cancer") and a color back cover illustrating the Kool Aid dying process that accompanies a tutorial on color, and another tutorial on using circulars instead of DPNs to knit in the round... well worth getting, and you can find out how to order here. I am working on something to submit for the winter issue, and you could too... it is great fun to see yourself in print, help build knitting community, and support independent publishers like Jae (not to mention she offers great recipes for free regularly on her blog!).

5 Comments:

Blogger Nana Sadie said...

ooooohhhhh!! Congrats! Published is so cool...(and you know, you could do a product review for the next issue - hint, hint...your Nana Sadie Rose bag is on it's way!)
((((hugs))))

7:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! What wonderful news.

9:41 PM  
Blogger jae said...

thatnks for the mention, birdsong. you should feel pleased - it's a great piece!

9:51 AM  
Blogger FaeryCrafty said...

Woohoooo!! Congrats!

6:41 PM  
Blogger Lynette said...

Congratulations! An official, published author, that is so cool.

Ahem. Can I get some tips from you on how to start submitting articles???

5:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home