A View from Sierra County

Small town life and politics, lots of knitting, and travels with and without my five burros

My Photo
Name:
Location: In the Sierra Nevadas, United States

I blog about rural living and social issues, and the creativity that comes from knitting, as well as post random pictures of the Sierras and my burros. "In order to be an artist, one must be deeply rooted in the society" - Simone de Beauvoir


Knittingstephaniesfriendbanner



Friday, August 05, 2005

A Friday Update

Well, it's Friday and time to take stock of my grandiose predictions from the beginning of the week:

I was going to make terrific progress on the pink tank top design from Annie Blatt... and I did. On Monday. Nothing since.

I was going to finish all four pair of baby booties and put them in the shop. I didn't, and am stuck on one and a half pair completed...

I was going to knit up the prototype for my cell phone pouch design. NOT! I AM going to draw a picture and color it in lime green and pink and turn it into a gift certificate for my niece, since it will be the late part of her birthday present, which I just determined this morning, when I called to ask what her current favorite colors were (we are heading to Reno tomorrow, for Hot August Nights, and to celebrate her birthday - turning 14 on the 12th). She has a flip phone, so she will get a pouch, but probably not the very first one, as I want to work out the bugs.

So, what have I been doing? I have worked some very long hours again this week, and my knitting time has been exclusively devoted to my Berrocco Cotton Twist tank top (please don't tell my daughter). I am loving watching the soothing colors unfold, and my tired mind and body are grateful each evening for even a few rows of mindless knitting. I have about five of the ten inches done before dividing for front and back.

I did get to take a great hike yesterday, leading an outing on the Bear Lakes Loop trail. We have had smaller numbers of kids participating this year, and so our outing was very pleasant. We stopped at Long Lake and descended from the trail to jump in, since the temperatures are on the rise again. For once, this lake wasn't too cold, but delightfully refreshing. We continued on the loop trail (which is only just over three miles, and goes by four lakes!), and lunched at Big Bear Lake, where we hiked over to our favorite rock face above the lake, swam and enjoyed the beautiful surroundings. The Lakes Basin is getting increasingly popular, and we saw a lot of hikers for a mid-week outing, as well as having our group of kids get into a "whooping" match with another group on an island in the lake.... now all this whooping was the excitement of jumping in the cold water, showing off for other kids, etc, and all in good fun, but reminded me that as this area gets heavier use, it won't necessarily seem quite so bucolic. At least the snow blocks people from spending much time there in winter; one of my definitions of high country, and a measure of continued remoteness. We can really only visit. Here is a link to a photo slide show of the beautiful Lakes Basin area, which contains over 40 lakes... my co-leader, Kim and I got out the map last season and counted up; we had been to at least 24 apiece over the years... how lucky is that! And, we get paid to do this!

On the hike out, we all stopped at the traditional "wishing rock", where you pick up a small rock from the trail, make a wish, and add it to the pile.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful hiking tradition. The place sounds beautiful. You'll have to take me on that trail when I come out there, someday.
Drawing the cell phone cover and giving it as a GC is a great idea!

5:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home