A View from Sierra County

Small town life and politics, lots of knitting, and travels with and without my five burros

My Photo
Name:
Location: In the Sierra Nevadas, United States

I blog about rural living and social issues, and the creativity that comes from knitting, as well as post random pictures of the Sierras and my burros. "In order to be an artist, one must be deeply rooted in the society" - Simone de Beauvoir


Knittingstephaniesfriendbanner



Monday, November 07, 2005

Dream Home

Do you ever wonder what you would do if you could change your life around to live in the house of your dreams? Where would it be located, and what would it look like?


This photo of our current "cabin in the woods", where my husband lived for 13 years, and our combined families for five of them, shows just how rustic our tastes really are. Located in the National Register Historic District of Forest City, about 15 miles east of our present main home, we still stay here frequently, except when deep winter snows block our access. Our driveway of about 400 yards uphill is not plowed in winter. My stepson Rex took this shot last week, and the fall light really comes through, but the leaves have already fallen from the two big black locust trees on either side of the house. Posted by Picasa


This boarded up house, located in the isolated Clover Valley, east of Beckwourth, California, is actually the type of place we dream of... I have always been fond of high mountain isolation, and living all those years in Forest City (I also lived there 13 years full-time, four as a single mom before my sweetie, Glenn and I were married) proved to me that I was "tough enough" and had the right frame of mind for such long-term self-reliance. Posted by Picasa

On Friday night, I met my DH at the Reno airport, returning from his 30 days of hurricane relief work. We spent the night, and did the city shopping things in the morning, then headed back towards Yuba Pass and home... nearing Beckwourth, we decided to take a brief detour to see the Clover Valley, which we both love. The area is still totally undeveloped, and the site of partial-year cattle ranching. We both love being in the trees, yet still surrounded by a large, open sky.


Only a fence line, a dirt road, and a large sky... my idea of heaven here on earth. Posted by Picasa


Looking the opposite direction in Clover Valley. Posted by Picasa

The house is actually a former Forest Service gaurd station, used until the 1980s, but now boarded up. There is a lovely campground nearby that is not heavily used. The house would not be that difficult to fix up, at least to us. Keep in mind that my DH has restored five old structures, including one lying partway on the ground, and I have been along for the ride for the past two. You start looking for straight lines and a lack of major architectural problems. Not that this one is available, but a person can dream....

3 Comments:

Blogger Kathy said...

I'm with you, I would LOVE that boarded up house. I also love the fence line, dirt road and large sky. That's what it looks like around my house! :)

3:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I dream of a little cabin and lots of land. One day I hope to be out of the San Diego burbs. Thank you for sharing the beautiful pictures.

10:41 AM  
Blogger Nana Sadie said...

Once upon a time, Knitnana would have been right there with you! Now, I think I'm prone to be close to the necessities of life (medical care is up high on that list) and good plumbing/reliable heating and cooling (again, medical necessities for me). But ah...I was once a member of the "back to the land" movement and would have joined you. Now my "Dream Home" is anywhere my "honey" is.
(((hugs)))

10:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home