A View from Sierra County

Small town life and politics, lots of knitting, and travels with and without my five burros

My Photo
Name:
Location: In the Sierra Nevadas, United States

I blog about rural living and social issues, and the creativity that comes from knitting, as well as post random pictures of the Sierras and my burros. "In order to be an artist, one must be deeply rooted in the society" - Simone de Beauvoir


Knittingstephaniesfriendbanner



Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Fire in Downieville


I have been ignoring part of my blog's title, and not putting any posts up about community life. Today many of us are wandering around in shock as one of the four motels in our dinky town of Downieville suffered a major fire, which also pretty much destroyed an adjacent family home. Here is a front view of what is left of the Downieville Inn, where nine people lost their homes in a fire last night. One dog perished, and one person got injured. The fire was short but intense. In a town this small (only about 200 winter residents), everyone was close to at least one of the people affected. The Inn's owners, Aaron and Elena, lived in a separate building that was spared the flames. The adjacent Downieville Grocery was also unharmed, being built mainly of brick. Posted by Hello


This photo shows Lynn and Charlie Jakobs' home from the rear; extensive damage. Their youngest son, Joe, is one of my students and escaped unharmed. Posted by Hello


Another view of the Downieville Inn Posted by Hello


View of Inn upstairs showing collapsed roof Posted by Hello

3 Comments:

Blogger Cody said...

Give everyone my regards and let them know that they are in my thoughts. Hopefully they will recieve the great amount of support that it will take to get them back on their feet from the community. If there is anything that I can do to help, please tell me. I love you, say hi to la familia.

4:18 PM  
Blogger FaeryCrafty said...

I'm so sorry that happened. It is so terrible I don't even know what to say.

8:02 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Oh that makes me so sad. I live up in Greenville, near Quincy. We take drives down there quite a bit. We used to live in Grass valley, and go back to visit a lot. We always drive through Downieville!.

8:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home