A View from Sierra County

Small town life and politics, lots of knitting, and travels with and without my five burros

My Photo
Name:
Location: In the Sierra Nevadas, United States

I blog about rural living and social issues, and the creativity that comes from knitting, as well as post random pictures of the Sierras and my burros. "In order to be an artist, one must be deeply rooted in the society" - Simone de Beauvoir


Knittingstephaniesfriendbanner



Thursday, March 10, 2005

Messing with the Queue

Wel, it's MY queue after all, so I guess it's ok if I rearrange the order on the things I want to get done. I decided the other morning to stop off at Ben Franklin and pick up enough Homespun to make a prayer shawl for a friend whose husband is undergoing chemo... I just felt like their pressing need was more critical than having another purse or tank top right now, so I have been carrying around this lovely rose-colored yarn and working on the shawl in snatches ever since.

The baby blankie looked at me like I was a disloyal mother, and I tried to hide how irritated I was with it for taking so long to get through the decreases, but valiantly put in a few more inches last night. The sleeves of the bolero sighed and looked longingly at the body as I unpinned them from the blocking board yesterday, but they will have to wait till tomorrow to be joined together in knitted wedlock. The Echo scarf even got some attention last night, but mainly I had to rewind all the loose ribbon and untangle it, and then used a covered hair elastic around the ball to keep the mess back in place, so I only got a few inches done there too. The thoughts of my friends possibly facing death, and being able to provide them with a small measure of comfort in their ordeal are just clamoring so much more. Mainly, their story looms in my mind, and I am anxious to send my thoughts their way as I knit. It is spring here, the time of birth and renewal, and I am grateful not to be in their shoes, facing the possibility of death. I could only aspire to be as brave.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home