A View from Sierra County

Small town life and politics, lots of knitting, and travels with and without my five burros

My Photo
Name:
Location: In the Sierra Nevadas, United States

I blog about rural living and social issues, and the creativity that comes from knitting, as well as post random pictures of the Sierras and my burros. "In order to be an artist, one must be deeply rooted in the society" - Simone de Beauvoir


Knittingstephaniesfriendbanner



Friday, February 25, 2005

Knitting makes the Grocery Store newsstands

You know how you can't help but read all the trashy headlines while waiting in lines at the grocery store? People, The Star, The Enquirer ("Enquiring Minds Want to Know!")? Well, over the past year, my daughter and I both have gotten into the habit of picking up First For Women. Maybe it's the colorful covers, or maybe the latest diet news, or maybe it's the $1.99 price tag. I grabbed the latest issue last night while collecting dinner and beverages on the way to my night class and was surprised today to come across an article titled "Freedom from Chronic Anxiety", touting knitting!

"The popularity of knitting has grown exponentially since September 11 ... After the attacks, people craved the familiarity of knitting, perhaps because it represents a simpler, safer time", Mary Colucci, executive director of the Craft Yarn Council, is quoted.

The other fascinating tidbit from this article was: "Researchers at University College London studying post-traumatic stress disorder found that subjects who performed visouspatial tasks (activities that keep the hands occupied with a sequential pattern) such as knitting were better able to overcome the effects of any trauma they had experienced". I am going to consider that a prescription to carry on...

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is really interesting information, and confirms what I had already intuited about myself. I started knitting the day after November 2, 2004, so there is an event linked to my knitting desire.

Janis
(www.farmettereport.com)

4:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yup, I find knitting very relaxing. Now if I could just cut the caffeine :-).

4:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there Birdsong. I was surfing the search engines for purse and handbag related websites using the keyword firman purse rubber and found your awesome page with the title this post. I am looking for ideas on how to improve my own site using different keywords and was amazed how easy it was to find your site using the keyword firman purse rubber. Perhaps we could do a link exchange at some point. Anyway, thanks for your time and I’m glad I found your site.

6:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home