A View from Sierra County

Small town life and politics, lots of knitting, and travels with and without my five burros

My Photo
Name:
Location: In the Sierra Nevadas, United States

I blog about rural living and social issues, and the creativity that comes from knitting, as well as post random pictures of the Sierras and my burros. "In order to be an artist, one must be deeply rooted in the society" - Simone de Beauvoir


Knittingstephaniesfriendbanner



Sunday, February 27, 2005

Hay String

Every morning while I am feeding my burros, I look at the growing pile of hay string (the thin rope that binds the bales, three per bale, and probably nylon) and wonder what I could knit up to use this free stuff. So, this morning I brought a few lengths in and used my biggest needles (size 19 circular) and cast on as many stitches as one string would yield. Turned out to be 24. Proceeded to knit a couple rows, and the texture wasn't that bad to work with, but I don't think I'll make a habit of it. Wool, alpaca and plushy chenille are soo much nicer! Now, I need to think of something useful - my original idea had been making a doormat, but the fabric is too thin for that. I am going to try a tote pattern, and maybe come up with a hay net, to carry hay out to the animals further away from the barn... those of you with livestock know that before too long, no matter what you do, there is hay littering around everywhere. Any other ideas out there?


hay string in its natural state Posted by Hello


Knitted up on size 19 needles Posted by Hello

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very interesting..... Keep us posted on your ideas.

4:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, what a clever idea! Our hay string is red-orange and kind of waxy. I've been eyeing it and wondering what to do with it. As you said, it's not really right for a door or floor mat. Along the lines of a hay tote would be a simple string bag that you could take to the market with you.

Janis
(www.farmettereport.com)

7:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh! Another thought - how about a scrubbie to use on pots & pans or to scrub the tub....

Janis

7:54 PM  
Blogger Birdsong said...

Thanks everyone for the great ideas!

8:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home