A View from Sierra County

Small town life and politics, lots of knitting, and travels with and without my five burros

My Photo
Name:
Location: In the Sierra Nevadas, United States

I blog about rural living and social issues, and the creativity that comes from knitting, as well as post random pictures of the Sierras and my burros. "In order to be an artist, one must be deeply rooted in the society" - Simone de Beauvoir


Knittingstephaniesfriendbanner



Friday, June 03, 2005

Latest Trip the the Yarn Store

I had to rush in to the dentist yesterday afternoon so that I could get my new crowns put on before they leave on a two-week vacation to Italy (SOME people!?). It gave me the opportunity to dash by Meadowfarm Yarn Studio and pick up more yarn for the felted duffel bag, which has turned into quite the yarn piggie.

I am using the Pursenalities pattern for a large travel bag, which calls for 7-8 skeins of Cascade 220; this would total 1760 yards at 220 yards per skein (I even double-checked with the calculator). So far, I have gone through 440 yards of Knitpicks Wool of the Andes in Maple Syrup, plus approx. 100 yards of the same yarn in Tomato Red, left over from a felted purse. I also ran through 200-250 yards of Brown Sheep Nature Spun in Cappucino (a light beige), probably 100 yards of a gold knitting worsted and a similar amount of dark burgundy, and 380 yards of Brown Sheep Worsted in dark brown and miscellaneous other coordinating yarns for striping. I even threw in some Fun Fur and some variegated gold/pink mohair as carry-alongs! I must be getting close to the total called for, especially once I knit in these next two skeins of Lambs Pride Worsted, yet another 380 yards. How much yarn do you want, greedy old bag? (and no, I am not insulting an elderly knitter, don't even go there!)

I feel like I am making sacrifices to some deity who just won't be satisfied, but keeps demanding more, more, more yarn! I also placed an order with Knitpicks for additional Maple Syrup, so that I can finish the top flaps. I think I might be finally closing in on the amount of yarn I need to get this project done! If I were to make something similar again ..... I would probably have to pick a solid color so that I wouldn't be agonizing about running out as I develop my striping ideas... this will certainly meet the definition of random striping when I am done!

2 Comments:

Blogger Cathy said...

Pursenalities is certainly turning out to be a bit of a yarn pig. Just think about when it's finished and it will be all worth it.

I like the idea of going to the dentist as an alternate excuse for going to the yarn store. That sounds like me.

Cathy

1:41 AM  
Blogger Marguerite said...

I would rather skip the dentist and just go to the yarn store.

That Maple Syrup color looks beautiful. I love a rich brown.

3:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home