A View from Sierra County

Small town life and politics, lots of knitting, and travels with and without my five burros

My Photo
Name:
Location: In the Sierra Nevadas, United States

I blog about rural living and social issues, and the creativity that comes from knitting, as well as post random pictures of the Sierras and my burros. "In order to be an artist, one must be deeply rooted in the society" - Simone de Beauvoir


Knittingstephaniesfriendbanner



Monday, November 14, 2005

Product Review: Cashsoft Aran

Stats:

Yarn name: Rowan Classic Cashsoft Aran
Weight: Aran
Manufacture:Rowan
Size: 50 gram/95 yards
Fibers: 57% extra fine merino wool/33% microfibre/10% cashmere
MSRP: $7.99 per ball

I had promised a Product Review of Rustic, from Elemental Affects this week, but in researching where you could get this lovely yarn, discovered that it is not listed under the same name on the website. I have contacted the company for an explanation, and will have to share that with you at a later date... no sense getting you excited about a yarn no longer made, right? Instead, I am featuring this Rowan staple, which I love so much right now that I am even considering making a sweater for my (usually) wool-allergic self!

I am recycling this photo from yesterday's post, mainly because I am in the process of setting up a separate page for the Product Reviews I have been writing, so that they (eventually) will all be in one place.

This is the yummiest, smoothest, and crispest yarn... my DS has exquisite taste and is great fun to take to the yarn stores as I travel around, since he always "scouts out" the softest and lushest yarns there. It doesn't take much cashmere, only 10% to give it the smoothee-soft hand, although in this case that is helped along by the one-third microfiber included. The yarn has plenty of the stretch we associate with wool, but reminds me of soft, dense things like butter and ice cream. The colors available are very lush and rich, and there is a great pattern book, Rowan Classic Weekend with designs using this yarn, that has me contemplating a hoodie or vest out of it. For my style of loose, continental knitting, it makes up more like a worsted, but most people would find themselves using larger needles and making up one of these designs very quickly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home