A View from Sierra County

Small town life and politics, lots of knitting, and travels with and without my five burros

My Photo
Name:
Location: In the Sierra Nevadas, United States

I blog about rural living and social issues, and the creativity that comes from knitting, as well as post random pictures of the Sierras and my burros. "In order to be an artist, one must be deeply rooted in the society" - Simone de Beauvoir


Knittingstephaniesfriendbanner



Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Vintage Stole pattern

Terri from the Knit Red KAL asked me for a copy of one of the vintage (as in "in the public domain") patterns I found while visiting my mother-in-law, so I decided to post it here as well. This is a very pretty design, and works up to look like a wider faggoting effect. I decided to trial it by making a scarf in Gelato, a little ball of yarn I found on sale several years ago... once I have a little more made up, I'll add a photo.

Stole Pattern:
Yarn: Brunswick Pompadour (this is a sport weight that came in 2 oz skeins at the rate of 260 yards per skein, according to www.vintageknits.com) - 6 skeins
1 pair size 9 needles
Steel crochet hook size 4 (although a 1 or 0 is probably just lying around the house, and would do just as well)
Gauge: 5 sts = 1 ince; 8 rows = 1"
Pattern: (multiple of 9 plus 5)
Row 1: K 5, * k2tog, yo, k2tog, k5*, repeat from * to *
Row 2: K2, p1, * K3, yo, K4, p1*, repeat from * to *

Cast on 104 stitches. Knit one row. Work in pattern to desired length, generally between 68 and 74 inches for a stole. After completing row 1 of pattern, knit one row, then bind off.

Finishing: Sc 1 row around all edges of stole, begin sure to work 3 sc at corners to avoid curling; fasten off. Fringe both ends of stole as desired. (The prayer shawl site has some great directions on making fringe - be sure to allow about 1/2 skein of yarn for fringe, or cut your fringe before starting your last skein of yarn, so that you have enough). This vintage stole used a dense fringe of twenty strands of yarn, each 10 inches long, and more widely spaced to create a tassel-like effect.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home