A View from Sierra County

Small town life and politics, lots of knitting, and travels with and without my five burros

My Photo
Name:
Location: In the Sierra Nevadas, United States

I blog about rural living and social issues, and the creativity that comes from knitting, as well as post random pictures of the Sierras and my burros. "In order to be an artist, one must be deeply rooted in the society" - Simone de Beauvoir


Knittingstephaniesfriendbanner



Saturday, May 14, 2005

Blessings from a Fellow Knitter

The most wonderful thing happened to me this week - I won Marguerite's contest scarf! I can't believe my good fortune, and was thinking maybe this virtual world of knit blogging was just filling up my dreamtime, but, there it was. In the mailbox this morning. A package sent by priority mail from the Marguerite of Stitches of Violet fame.

Back at the end of March, Marguerite had decided that she really wanted to make the Backyard Leaves scarf designed by Annie Modisett in Scarf Style. She had some beautiful lettuce green Alpaca Silk (55% superfine alpaca, 23% silk, 22% merino wool) from Knitpicks to use, but doesn't really care for wearing scarves all that much. So, she decided to host a contest on her blog, with five different opportunities to enter by posting a comment on the progress notes she posted on her blog during the knitting process. The scarf was finished by April 30th, the drawing conducted by her dear husband earlier this week, and she notified me and the world that I was the lucky winner.

Now, I have this beautiful creation in my own hot little hands (actually, it is draped over the wardrobe door, after I modeled it to take a photo to show everyone). This is a very special gift for several reasons. First, I am an experienced knitter who can appreciate the lush hand and special quiet color of the yarn. I can also marvel at the evenness of her stitches and the intertwining of the leaves. This pattern has a right side and wrong side, and I can be impressed by that intricacy each time I wear it and gaze down at the leaves.

Backyard Leaves scarf made by Marguerite Posted by Hello


I can also feel a little bit of Marguerite, who I may never, ever have the opportunity to meet (she lives in Michigan and I live in California). She is one of my favorite blog reads, and I admire her work for Children In Common. She has a few of the patterns she uses to make these items for charity available on her blog, as well as more information about charity knitting. I also know that she loves her dogs and has a brand-new granddaughter (as well as other grandchildren). I do wish I could meet her in person, as I feel we would be great friends, and would love to share a cup of coffee and some quality knitting time, but at least when I wear the scarf made by her busy knitting hands just for the pure pleasure of knitting it, I will have a little bit of her essence there with me.

Marguerite, thank you so much, from the bottom of my heart.

6 Comments:

Blogger Cathy said...

The scarf is beautiful and what a gorgeous green.

I bet it feels lovely as the yarn looks soooooooo soft.

Cathy

8:31 PM  
Blogger Marguerite said...

Love seeing the picture of the scarf's final destination. So glad to know it arrived safely to its new home in California.

9:20 PM  
Blogger marguerite louise said...

I am so very happy for you to have the beautiful scarf. Thank you for the photo.

9:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous scarf to have won! You are so lucky. I tagged you for a Book Meme. Check out my blog for the questions.

10:29 AM  
Blogger Lynette said...

Beautiful scarf. Congratulations on winning it, and kudos to Marguerite for the generous prize.

4:45 PM  
Blogger stricken madchen said...

The scarf is beautiful and I'm sure you are going to enjoy it for years. ;-)

6:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home