A View from Sierra County

Small town life and politics, lots of knitting, and travels with and without my five burros

My Photo
Name:
Location: In the Sierra Nevadas, United States

I blog about rural living and social issues, and the creativity that comes from knitting, as well as post random pictures of the Sierras and my burros. "In order to be an artist, one must be deeply rooted in the society" - Simone de Beauvoir


Knittingstephaniesfriendbanner



Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Isn't Lace Fun?

I really love lace, but haven't done a challenging lace project this year, or for a few, truth be told. I have been content to make small, straightforward, simple-repeat patterns that "appear" lacy. However, this spring I have been bitten by the lace bug once again.

This mucky picture is my class project for the Needlecraft University Triangular Shawl Class that Sallee from Knit Red KAL convinced me to take along with her and Kitt. We all started last Saturday. The goal for the first week is to get the first 24 rows completed and do a "block in progress" to determine if your yarn and needle choice is working. I am pretty happy overall, now that I see it pinned in place and drying (yep, those dark spots on my cutting board are water). I am using Wool of the Andes from Knitpicks. As you can see from the picture, the last row I have completed is on the circular needle, up at the top of the photo. One of the best tips I have gotten from the class so far is to use builders' styrofoam for blocking, so that I won't destroy my cardboard cutting board! Posted by Hello

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The lace is looking great. I have always wanted to try a lace project. I even bought some KnitPicks Shimmer for the job...I'm finally getting inspired to get it on the needles. I look forward to seeing your progress.

3:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, Birdsong! Marguerite, the younger, suggested I visit your blog because it is one of her favorites which she often visits. I see the reason for its popularity. About lace: I love lace. My mother as a child and young girl worked as a lacemaker in Switzerland - it was a cottage industry in the early 20th Century.
Thank you for your kind words. I am Marguerite Louise/Odysseuse

4:20 PM  
Blogger marguerite louise said...

Congratulations! I am so happy the fates chose you to receive the scarf!

7:36 PM  
Blogger marguerite louise said...

Congratulations on winning The Scarf. Wear it in good health (or donate it). I think it would look beautiful on you.

7:39 PM  
Blogger marguerite louise said...

I see I left two comments for you, saying basically the same things. I am still learning to use this technology, and am glad my teacher is back in town so that my lessons can continue and that I won't be making mistakes unintentionally!

7:42 PM  
Blogger Birdsong said...

To both of the Marguerites, I am so delighted to win the scarf and also to have made both of your acquaintances!

8:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home