A View from Sierra County

Small town life and politics, lots of knitting, and travels with and without my five burros

My Photo
Name:
Location: In the Sierra Nevadas, United States

I blog about rural living and social issues, and the creativity that comes from knitting, as well as post random pictures of the Sierras and my burros. "In order to be an artist, one must be deeply rooted in the society" - Simone de Beauvoir


Knittingstephaniesfriendbanner



Monday, June 13, 2005

A Cranking Good Time

Sunday was knitting day... I participated in a get-together with (new) sock machine friends. There were four of us total, meeting in the courtyard of Trish's beauty salon in downtown Walnut Creek surrounded with greenery.. a very lovely afternoon, and Trish is really an expert and could point out things that were creating problems for me... mainly not having enough weight on my work, and not moving the weight up close to the latest rows of stitching coming off the machine. I was able to produce a few more yards of flawless tubing, then switch to a sport weight, make the necessary tension adjustment and produce a yard or so of that weight successfully! Whoo hooo, I am almost ready to tackle socks! One of the participants, Mary, was practicing heels and toes as a warm up for her next pair of socks, and she whipped right through them... gave me courage.

I leave in a week and a half for the Black Sheep Gathering in Eugene, Oregon, and Randy, who got me signed up for this adventure, was there yesterday as well. She and her daughter, another spinner and teenage daughter and two more spinners from the Bay Area are going on the train as well, so we got to discuss plans, impressions, etc. Randy has made it to Black Sheep the four previous years, and likes the animal events too... we are looking forward to watching them the days we don't have our sock knitting class. We also discussed possible shopping....

I plan to felt up several items later this week, including the infamous travel bag, just in need of a few, last strappy details. I have also managed to finish a summery scarf out of Skacel Hip Hop to put in the shop, and hope to get two more pair of sandals ready before it is my day to work there this coming Friday... I will take pictures too then!

Thanks for the kind comments on my speech... I was amazed to get several compliments as I traveled around my tiny town today. This is new to me; I am comfortable as a public speaker but didn't expect any kudos. Keep thinking to myself, "they must really mean it; if they didn't like it they would just not say anything!"

REMINDER - the contest is still open until the end of the month, so write me to enter.

4 Comments:

Blogger Lynette said...

Because you mentioned getting together in a beauty salon, the first image in my mind of your sock knitting group was kind of like the ladies in Steel Magnolias. I do not mean any offense by this. I happen to like that movie a lot and have seen it several times. I can imagine the camaraderie and repartee (sp?) as you knitted merrily along on the sock machines.

9:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is a marvelous speech. I've watch others knit heels and toes with the machine..it is like magic. I'm off to Estes Park Wool Market this weekend and can't wait!

9:06 AM  
Blogger FaeryCrafty said...

That's so cool that you have sock machine buddies. I can't wait to see how it all turns out :)

1:43 PM  
Blogger marguerite louise said...

I've been curious to know how you and your new knitting machine are doing!
From time to time I'll be checking! Your blog is interesting even to those of us who are not knitters. Your busy life is chronicled in such a way that it makes reading about it much like a continuing story.

4:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home