A View from Sierra County

Small town life and politics, lots of knitting, and travels with and without my five burros

My Photo
Name:
Location: In the Sierra Nevadas, United States

I blog about rural living and social issues, and the creativity that comes from knitting, as well as post random pictures of the Sierras and my burros. "In order to be an artist, one must be deeply rooted in the society" - Simone de Beauvoir


Knittingstephaniesfriendbanner



Sunday, June 05, 2005

Further CSM progress

I did manage to actually knit several rows with my CSM this afternoon. I was quite pleased with myself, although there is still much to learn to keep everything turning smoothly. I am using some vintage fingering "dress" yarn, a wool/rayon boucle to practice with... the thinner the better at first, according to my mentor, Roxana. It seems rather stretched in the photo, but that is partly because you attach a weight to the bottom of your set-up, which helps maintain the proper tension. I figured out that going very slowly allows me to make sure I am getting the results I want at this stage... it is still impressively fast for a hand-knitter like me.


The light gray yarn is my effort; the dark purple below is the set-up bonnet provided by Roxana along with the machine... obviously my work has a long way to go to develop even tension. Posted by Hello

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! How exciting. I hope you enjoy the learning phase as much as the finished products.

I'm eager to see your continued efforts posted on your blog.

12:38 PM  
Blogger Lynette said...

Oh my. The CSM looks complex, but fun. Will it take different weights of yarn?

I was driving back from Reno on I80 yesterday and thought of you somewhere out there in the mountains.

2:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home