A View from Sierra County

Small town life and politics, lots of knitting, and travels with and without my five burros

My Photo
Name:
Location: In the Sierra Nevadas, United States

I blog about rural living and social issues, and the creativity that comes from knitting, as well as post random pictures of the Sierras and my burros. "In order to be an artist, one must be deeply rooted in the society" - Simone de Beauvoir


Knittingstephaniesfriendbanner



Monday, September 19, 2005

Product Review: Berrocco Cotton Twist

Stats:

Yarn name: Cotton Twist
Weight: Worsted weight
Manufacture:Berrocco
Size: 1.75 oz. hank/85 yards
Fibers: 70% mercerized cotton; 30% rayon
MSRP: $6.95 per hank

This yarn has a high sheen, and picks up the light really beautifully. It has a definite twist, which comes with a lot of mercerized cottons, however, it is also easy to split the thread while knitting, a feature of the rayon portion which drives me nuts! I bought a bag of this in a discontinued shade from Elann earlier this spring, intending to use it to make a spring Clapotis, however decided it was much brighter than I wanted when it arrived and we met in person. I set the bag aside, but began making an easy tank top in August. I am not entirely happy with the way it made up, as I had to drop down two needles sizes, instead of my usual one, to get the correct gauge. The company recommends size 8 but that produced a very sleazy, loose fabric lacking the body a garment needs. I got the required gauge and started on the top, but still have the feeling of the weave being a little too loose; only wearing and washing will tell how this fabric holds its shape (or not). Berrocco claims that you can machine wash knitted garments on delicate that have been placed in a sweater bag, then lay flat to dry, which will be a plus.


Here's a photo of my Cotton Twist top, almost completed. I have since finished the knitting, and need to edge the neck and armhole openings to match the bottom edging, which is a heavy rayon perle cotton in one of the shades of blue. Posted by Picasa


Sallee is making a summer stole from the same batch of yarn from Elann, and I am mailing off my leftover hanks to her. I do think the results will be lovely, but am not sure the shine is worth the work. All that glitters is not gold.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tori said...

Your Cotton Twist Top is beautiful! Can't wait to see the finished photo ;-) Take care,Tori

11:24 AM  
Blogger Lynette said...

I used the Cotton Twist for the lacy capelet and I have to say, never again, at least not until I've gotten over the inconvenience of the splitty, snaggy yarn. It's very pretty but I had such a time with it. I have a bag of a beautiful silvery lavender color which I also bought from Elann but I don't know when I'll knit it up.

Now the Softwist is pretty nice. Still a bit snaggy but much more elastic than its cotton sister.

4:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home