A View from Sierra County

Small town life and politics, lots of knitting, and travels with and without my five burros

My Photo
Name:
Location: In the Sierra Nevadas, United States

I blog about rural living and social issues, and the creativity that comes from knitting, as well as post random pictures of the Sierras and my burros. "In order to be an artist, one must be deeply rooted in the society" - Simone de Beauvoir


Knittingstephaniesfriendbanner



Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Happy Summer Solstice

Today is the Summer Solstice and I am spending the longest day of the year busy packing to take the train at midnight tomorrow night to the Black Sheep Gathering... the toughest decision is how much yarn to bring! There is a small group starting in San Francisco on Amtrak, and I will be climbing aboard in Sacramento.

This all sounds very jolly, except that I hope they will all be sleeping in preparation for four days of fiber festing once we get to Eugene. One of the participants has been checking the Amtrak website regularly for the past few weeks, and informed us that the train on this route has been running late... like 4-8 HOURS late.

How much knitting will this eat up? I have a whole tank top to be making and part of a fast scarf to finish, as well as Airy Scarf from Last Minute Knitted Gifts, which is supposed to be quick as well. I didn't want to carry lots of reading materials, as I have so much STUFF already.. enough clothes for a week at each end of the weather extremes we have been experiencing this spring, and camping gear to stay at the fairgrounds (which I think will be a blast, getting to visit with other fiberholics... maybe we can even set up an informal 12-step network); also some yarns to try out during my day-long sock machine class on Saturday. And somewhere in there, I have to stash an EMPTY tote bag to haul back my purchases (am I pragmatic, or is it just that I read Margene's blog regularly?)

I did decide to pack the mancala game I just bought, and see if I could talk someone into learning it with me... I would really like to make the felted version on Knitty, but want to make sure I care enough about playing the game to make it worth the knitting effort. Why bother, if I decide the game is no fun? What better time to test it out than on a vacation train trip? Please don't tell me if you think I've gone off the deep end... just lets keep it to ourselves.

Before I am gone for several days, I want to remind everyone that hasn't done so yet to enter my contest... you still have a week till June ends, so you can decide to hoard this opportunity to yourself (the pool of entries is still pretty small) or share it with your friends....

Enjoy the longest day of the year and the beginning of summer and remember that knitting is a great summer evening activity! Long, lit evenings out on the porch, with a cold drink, good company, and great knitting - it doesn't get any better!

6 Comments:

Blogger FaeryCrafty said...

Too bad my husband can't come and teach you about the mancala. He whoops my butt every time!!

7:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoy your time at Black Sheep. I won't be attending this year...but have friends going from here in Poulsbo.

Am looking forward to reading your blog when you return and report the oodles of fun that you had.

9:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, my post tomorrow is about how little I knit on the trip. My projects didn't see the light of day. However, I didn't have an 8 hour wait for the train!
Enjoy!!

9:47 AM  
Blogger Lynette said...

Have a great time, hope to read about it all when you come back.

6:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have a wonderful time. I am originally from Salem which is just an hour north of Eugene. I wanted to go to the BSG but I already have plans to fly up there for a couple weeks in July so I couldn't justify the additional trip. I can't wait to hear all about your adventure!

6:44 PM  
Blogger Marguerite said...

Have a great trip. Hope the train isn't too late - or is that a good think when the train is late because you get to knit longer?

6:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home